• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I cant identify some things

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I finally took the plunge and bought a Bronco II. found an '86 Eddie Bauer.

I have problems with it that I am trying to fix, but am just unable to.

1. when sitting at idle, if I engage the AC compressor it sputters down and dies. if I am on the highway it is fine. I tightened the throttle screw a bit, because it was almost falling out, I will have to test the AC tomorrow.
2. Power loss. After running the truck for about 15 or 20 minutes, it has a loss of power when I push the throttle in, if I keep the throttle easy, I can slowly accelerate. But if I push in more, it stops accelerating all together. I havnt tried flooring it at that point, because I am afraid to break something. The problem goes away after the truck cools off.

I have seen a few threads about issue 2 but havnt seen any real solid suggestions. I am considering ordering a new TPS. If I could figure out how to get to the TFI I would replace that too.

I was also unable to identify some things under the hood. There are 2 connectors on the passenger side, coming out of the wiring bundle. They go to nothing, and I am unsure if this is supposed to be this way. I am including pictures to help. one red larger connector, and one small white connector.

The second is a 2 section box, that has 2 caps in it. It appears like it should have fluid in it. It looks like the piping feeds into the intake, and I am unsure exactly what it is. It is located up in the front on the drivers side. lower in the engine compartment. I have included a picture of this as well.

I am hesitant to take it back to mechanics, as they seem to not be able to recreate the issue I am having, and keep telling me the truck is in overall great shape.

BTW its a manual, and does have 90+k on it. It was a motorhome toad most of its life, so I am unsure how many miles are actual driving miles on it at this point.

Thanks for helping a newbie in advance!

Attachments

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
charcoal canister... no its supposed to be dry inside. don't open the caps.

and the plugs are the diagnostic connectors. they plug into a scan tool.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a tool for the TFI, called a "Ford Ignition Module Tool". Can be had at Advance Auto for the princley sum of about $5. Helps a LOT.

As for your bog down issue, TFI could certainly cause that. Also replace fuel filters and check fuel pressure when hot. That really sounds like a fuel pump about to die.

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D'oh... I didnt even think of the fuel pump. The low pressure tank pump was replaced, but not the main pump. That would make sense. I am no guru with cars, I know just enough to make by. How would one go about testing the fuel pressure?

The truck only has the power problem when in gear an trying to move, if that makes any difference.

and that tool looks AMAZING. I might just buy it to have on hand, since Ive been seeing a lot of talk about TFI failures.

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
charcoal canister... no its supposed to be dry inside. don't open the caps.

and the plugs are the diagnostic connectors. they plug into a scan tool.
my dad popped them open, should I be worried?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 86 didn't come with air but didn't that era of car come with a solenoid on the throttle that electrically raises the idle when you turn on the air?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
D'oh... I didnt even think of the fuel pump. The low pressure tank pump was replaced, but not the main pump. That would make sense. I am no guru with cars, I know just enough to make by. How would one go about testing the fuel pressure?

The truck only has the power problem when in gear an trying to move, if that makes any difference.

and that tool looks AMAZING. I might just buy it to have on hand, since Ive been seeing a lot of talk about TFI failures.
That would be consistent with what I was thinking too. The lift pump wouldn't be as likely to cause your problem. The fact that the issue is only present under load only helps the case for a failing pump.

There is a test port that looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail. You'll need a pressure gauge.

TFI failures are more common of these trucks than on the fullsize ones. Its due to the position of the module. I have two of those tools, that's how handy they are. That's also how often I misplace things.

my dad popped them open, should I be worried?
Nope, not unless he poured liquid in there. Not all of them came with two caps, only the Cali emissions ones. My 87 is Federal emissions level, and it only came with one cap.

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be consistent with what I was thinking too. The lift pump wouldn't be as likely to cause your problem. The fact that the issue is only present under load only helps the case for a failing pump.

There is a test port that looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail. You'll need a pressure gauge.
I just ordered the Haynes guide for it. I was thinking Chiltons, but I had heard the bronco II chiltons was more disorganized then others. Looks like I get to learn how to install a fuel pump :icon_bounceblue:

And I wonder how I could properly test for this problem, since its hard to be under the hood while driving :icon_confused:

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, I forgot to mention this truck has been sitting for god only knows how long, at least 2 months I know of. Without usual driving. had very little fuel, and I filled up the tank, added lucas, and a new fuel filter.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've used all 3 major manuals for these trucks. Chilton is disorganized, Haynes is lacking in useful info, and Ford's manual is hard to navigate if you aren't familiar with the system.

Haynes is good if you have it. Frankly, for an amateur I'd use a combination of Haynes, Chilton, and TRS. If you can get your hands on a Ford manual, do it. Once you learn how to get around them, they are great to have.

The rail pump is pretty easy though. As for the test, get a long tube for your pressure gauge and run it inside the cab and go driving. That's how we do it at the shop.

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plus 1 on the dealer service books. You can find them on Ebay for around 30 bucks for the set. Just make sure to get both books in the set. Haynes are good for general items. :icon_thumby:

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The rail pump is pretty easy though. As for the test, get a long tube for your pressure gauge and run it inside the cab and go driving. That's how we do it at the shop.
That makes perfect sense. Guess I will be hitting up Autozone at some point.

I am hoping the haynes will have some sort of layout for connectors, I found 2 under the dash in the center, no idea what they do ha ha. and finding that A/C solenoid would be helpful too.

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plus 1 on the dealer service books. You can find them on Ebay for around 30 bucks for the set. Just make sure to get both books in the set. Haynes are good for general items. :icon_thumby:
thx for the advice, might just have to do that.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That makes perfect sense. Guess I will be hitting up Autozone at some point.

I am hoping the haynes will have some sort of layout for connectors, I found 2 under the dash in the center, no idea what they do ha ha. and finding that A/C solenoid would be helpful too.
I also have 2 connectors under the center of the dash, right by the shifter, no clue what they are for. Never bothered to look into it, probably for a fancy option I don't have.

What A/C solenoid?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you know how old the plug wires and the PCV are replace them so you know.. If you havent give it a good tune up preventative maint is allways the first thing you do. Oil change, filters and inspect all the connectors and wire good. Make sure the charging system is up to snuff. Check all the vacuum lines for hardness and cracks. Use the tech library and ask Qs. Dont change any components until you give it a good once over and # 1 is to do a compression/leakdown while hot to see if it is mechanical. No sense on spending money for the igniton if you problem is elsewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals