• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yet another Ranger owner with a 5.0 on the floor

KG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L now
Transmission
Automatic
I have owned this 97 x cab for 6 months with the intent of putting a 5.0 and AOD under the hood. So far I have bought several pieces of interior plastic from my local playground (Snake Road Salvage) while they are still available. Also picked up a 94 Mustang 5.0 that took a bad hit in left front area. The upper intake was broken, timing cover broken, oil pan has extra hole, exhaust manifold mangled, valve cover dented, ac and ps brackets broken, water pump shaft seems bent and the crank wouldn't turn but a few degrees either way. After removing the heads the crank problem turned out to be a bunch of loose carbon in cyl's at or near TDC. That's a lot of carbon and it came loose with out using any chemicals! Got an AOD from 92 van w/302 it may have the good ratio gears but I don't know how to tell. It will go to a rebuilder some day. Last week I swapped in a 8.8 3.55 traction lock rear axle. This week I had to take out the axle so I could remove the 5'6" fuel tank. (This must be one of Fords better ideas) Installing a smaller tank from a 94 reg cab, of course the fuel pump/level units are not the same height. Since I have all of this apart I might as well put in a new pump/level unit. So the question of the day is will 4.0 pump support a EFI 347ci?? Any suggestions?? KG

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS.
I don't know for sure but I suspect it will if the 347 is more or less stock. The reason I say this is I just recently replaced a 1988 e350 460ci frame mounted fuel pump with the one from my 1986 2.9l ranger. The pumps were identical in physical size and shape. Also had a frame pump from a 1988 f150 with a 351 and it was also identical.The 460 EFI motor in the RV ended up being pooched so I didn't get to run it at full throttle but it fired up fine and holds 42 psi.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Stock Ranger, and Ford F-series(with V8s), run 33GPH(125LPH) in-tank pumps, 35psi, 40GPH pumps were used with 60psi systems
GPH/LPH = Gallons per hour/liters per hour

So yes you can use stock pump, assuming you are going to run fuel injection, carb only needs 5 to 9 psi but still the 33GPH capacity
None use that much it is just the rating cap. so pressure doesn't change on high demand

KG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L now
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS.
I don't know for sure but I suspect it will if the 347 is more or less stock. The reason I say this is I just recently replaced a 1988 e350 460ci frame mounted fuel pump with the one from my 1986 2.9l ranger. The pumps were identical in physical size and shape. Also had a frame pump from a 1988 f150 with a 351 and it was also identical.The 460 EFI motor in the RV ended up being pooched so I didn't get to run it at full throttle but it fired up fine and holds 42 psi.
IT looks like I can start with the stock pump and up grade if needed. The 347 is looking more like 331 with explorer intake. I have 2 cams left from my 66 mustang 5.0, a stock 5.0 and a ford racing E303. I ran the mustang with both and ended up with a stock 5.0 cam because I drive around town 99% of the time with the stock cam at 45mph in 5th gear at 1300 revs, just right for an old man! The E303 didn't like being below 1600 revs.

KG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L now
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS.
IT looks like I can start with the stock pump and up grade if needed. The 347 is looking more like 331 with explorer intake. I have 2 cams left from my 66 mustang 5.0, a stock 5.0 and a ford racing E303. I ran the mustang with both and ended up with a stock 5.0 cam because I drive around town 99% of the time with the stock cam at 45mph in 5th gear at 1300 revs, just right for an old man! The E303 didn't like being below 1600 revs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals