• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It's Magic Jack...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
NOTE: I just noticed that there is a Communications section below and this probably should go there instead of the General Discussions...if someone wants to move it...thanks!

I've been looking for a less expensive alternative to my cell phone and ended up buying one of the MagicJackGo units. I set it up yesterday and already got my first wrong number call....:yahoo:

I am going to keep my cell phone for local calls and in case I need roadside assistance. For $120 a year I get unlimited text messages, free local calling between 7 pm and 7 am plus all weekend.

Big problem with that is I live in an area that has almost nothing local to it so every call except to my doctor, taxi service, or other in town stores or services are long distance.

EDIT: I just learned a way that the Cell phone app will work with my phone but there may be complications with the OS. My BB is running 10.33 so it is up to date...

Since I make most of my calls from home I can keep my costs down and avoid making any calls on the pay as I go plan so my yearly costs will be around $200 instead of the $540 I have been paying.

The only problem I've had so far was learning that in order to receive calls I had to pay an extra $10...so the total cost of acquiring and setting this up was $66 plus I had to spring for an new cordless phone at $20...

Renewal fees are $120 a year for the cell phone service plus whatever MJG requires every year for a year of service...probably about $50...

So I wanted to see if anyone else uses this and what your experience has been like...

Tech support...unit failures...problems with volume or people hearing the calls seem to have been resolved from what I've read but if you have any input at all...good or not so good...let me know...

TIA.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Magicjack uses internet, how much does that cost you per month?

I think there is a Magicjack APP as well, uses data package/internet, vs cellphone connection so same free long distance calling but mobile like your cell phone
I think it is free if you have the home version of Magicjack
But cell phone would need data plan

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, the internet is required but I already have that and it's a cost that is going to be there regardless because I don't watch TV so surfing and watching videos is essentially my entertainment.

I recently received a flyer from Rogers saying I can get a faster connection (10MB/sec) for 1/4 the cost of my current plan so I am trying to set that up too. Been paying too much for too long and need to get it under control.

I am still checking this all out and still have the option of returning it if my costs are going to go out of control. I have friends that like to yak but so far they've been sticking with text, e-mail, or in person chats so I rarely use the phone for personal time.

I was just out talking to a rep from Rogers about this and although he didn't want to commit (could not) he alluded to the fact that if I downloaded the app I could use it without a data plan so I could save that $120 a year too. So they know of these things but are not allowed to elaborate on them when they are on company time.l

Even so, I am still considering using the yearly pay as I go plan at $120 as it includes unlimited text messages. That way I can keep my account with Rogers and access their mobile network and just add minutes to the card if I should start doing more calling.

If the MJG app actually works and doesn't take out my BB OS I can use it without using my talk time minutes (according to their literature from MagicJack).

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I think my internet speed is 18 MB/sec at $89 per month. Getting ready to upgrade to 50 MB/sec for $99 per month. The Wife plays WOW and uses several photo programs and the faster speed is great. Me, I just plod along reading and spending money on eBay and Amazon.

I have a total aversion to ringing telephones so I have unlisted numbers. Being retired, I can do this. My blood pressure has dropped to normal once the phones stopped ringing! Haha. I Skype with my kids.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow, that's expensive...but considering what you said you paid for groceries I'd say it's in line with the area.

I don't like ringing phones either and usually had mine on vibrate even when I was relying on it for business calls.

Right now I can probably do without a phone strapped to my side when I go out so I might just get a cheap one for emergencies...still pricing things and seeing what's best.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Haha well, I still have a flip phone that is rarely even on. I am not smart enough for a smart phone so i've never felt the overwhelming urge to upgrade. Believe me, I understand a working man's need for a decent, reliable phone and also the desire to cut expenses.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
10Mb/s! How do you survive! lol. I have Charter and it's 100Mb/s down and 4Mb/s up for $60/mo. I haven't been under 30Mb/s since the mid 2000's. I get pissy if I see a buffer message on videos now.

I used Vonage's VoIP service for a couple of years. It worked ok until the power or internet goes out. So don't rely on it in an emergency. I was living in a cheap apartment at the time and had frequent internet trouble, so I ended up getting a cell phone anyway. As long as your internet is stable it works ok.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Shortly after I posted this my modem was toasted so I've been having a bit of down time...

It was nice and I managed to survive without too much withdrawl...:)

I only do e-mail and watch Youtube stuff so I don't want to have a high speed connection...considering I was weened on 28 kb/s this is actually light speed...lol

Anyway...back on for now so much catching up to do...:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals