• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jack it up!

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright so heres my little dream. 4" suspension lift. 2" coil spacers in the front. 1" add-a-leaf to the already suspesion lift. and then debating a body lift? cragar soft 8, 31x10.50x15 A/T's, gears in the rear end. now of course im broke and cant afford any of this but this is my dream. ide love for someone to put in their two sence and their opinion on how well this would work and look. or wouldnt work. and why. also if you know great ways to lift it up for cheap let me know.

1997 white ford ranger regular cab 2wd 2.3l

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
spindles and shackles...

31's IMHO are too small. heres mine with 33's and a 3 inch front 4 inch rear lift

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
I think your 6-9 inches of lift and 31's would look odd. Like its on stilts. With that much you could probably jam some 37's under her. :shok:
For 31's I would just do the spacers and addaleaf.

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
you really think thats all i need for 31s???

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you really think thats all i need for 31s???
And a re gear. I have 31s with just a spacer lift up front and 4.10 gears. you can see pics in the links in my sig

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
You don't need a lot of lift with 31's. Max lift I'd do is 4".

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright 4 inches of lift and 31s it is. now for the gears, any suggestions or tips on that? i dont know anything about gears or axles. i hadd someone explain it all to me recently but im still not 100% on the subject. so heres a few questions i have. is it easier to do it yourself rather than going and finding 410's? what other vehicles have 410's that will bolt right up with my 97 ranger? and what way is more cost effective? im broke as a joke and not getting any richer any time soon.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you havent done it before, I would HIGHLY advice on not doing it yourself. Thats something that has to be very precise and is very hard to do. You would probably be better off with 4.56 gears with a 2.3L. Unfortunately, you wont be finding any axles with 4.56 that would be a direct swap. The only option you have it looks like is buying the gears, master install kit, and having a shop do the labor. A shop will probably charge somewhere around $400 for the install.

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
lol well then tell me about finding an axle. front and rear, with the 4.56 gears. because i cant pay for axles and then 400 dollars ontop of that. and why not do 410's?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
b/c a 2.3 is gutless w/ no power and larger tires mean even less low end unless you regear to make up for it. you want to keep a "stock" ratio going.

4.56's or 4.88's is where i'd go. i'm going 4.56's w/ 33's and a 4.0!!! so....

you won't find axles w/ 4.56's. period..unless you find some used that someone regeared... just do 4.10's for now, you probably won't like it (i wouldn't; but its your rig not ours).. and once you figure out its gutless you'll wanna regear when you can. if by chance you like it, leave it 4.10s..

OH, and if you're broke! why not do the budget boost washer lift mod in the front, add a leafs or a block in the rear; then cut the fenders some? super cheap...

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright ill look ibto the axles. and i cant do a lift like that. when i offroad i go hard sp i need a legit suspension system.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
alright ill look ibto the axles. and i cant do a lift like that. when i offroad i go hard sp i need a legit suspension system.
:icon_rofl:

go hard...

2.3 4banger you want 31's to go hard.

if your broke, stop wasting your money on a lift for you truck, and worry about more important shit like a better job.

ill tell ya what, you want legit, call Camburg, tell em you want the 5.5 with deavers out back. see how much real suspension parts cost.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Stock suspension parts will take some abuse on the trails.. But like 06 said. Call camburg. Or get the stage 3 James duff kit (cheaper than camburg) something like that. You won't like price. Is this your daily driver? If so; you'd be better off buying a 1st gen ranger or something and just sas'ing it and keeping your dd stock. That way when you "go hard" and you break it; it doesn't have to be fixed by Monday morning.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since you are 2wd, you only need ONE axle. Your best bet is going to be finding a used 8.8 with 4.10s in it already if you are broke. You could swap the entire axle which would be smart assuming you have a 7.5 rear end stock. You wont be doing any "hard" wheeling with that anyway. You wont like it with 4.10s, but it looks like thats your only option if your on that much of a budget.

My advice, seriously start looking into how much stuff like this costs. None of it is cheap. Especially if you want to go "hard".

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Since you are 2wd, you only need ONE axle. Your best bet is going to be finding a used 8.8 with 4.10s in it already if you are broke. You could swap the entire axle which would be smart assuming you have a 7.5 rear end stock. You wont be doing any "hard" wheeling with that anyway. You wont like it with 4.10s, but it looks like thats your only option if your on that much of a budget.

My advice, seriously start looking into how much stuff like this costs. None of it is cheap. Especially if you want to go "hard".
Listen to this guy. When you go wheeling, you break parts. That will end up costing more $ than you bargained for. And anyway, you'd be surprised as what you can do with just a washer lift and 31's. Do the washer lift, run F-150 shocks, Chev lowering shackles in the rear, 4x4 rear shocks, a set of 31" mudders and spend more money on the gearing. That's my $0.02.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals