• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrict problem

pedal2themetal45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HI All.
Been running fine for a year or so.. then today it just quit, It turns over fine just won't start .. Pleanty of gas and now the brake is making the turn signal lights on the dash come on (both sides). I'm thinking the turn switch or Ign switch..Tho it has been replaced with in the last year.
84 Ranger 2.3
thanks
tim

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like you have a loose ground connection somewhere.

Eric B

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The two ways you could get the cluster indicators to light are 1) broken multi-function switch in the steering column and 2)the 4-way flasher switch. OR, you could be 'back feeding' the indicators through one of the bulbs(both?). A bad ground could also cause back feed problems, as noted above.
I would check the 4-way flasher switch, take it out of the circuit as it 'over rides' everything when it is engaged, more or less. Then check to see what is flashing besides the ts indicators when you step on the brake pedal.
tom

pedal2themetal45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi Thanks Guy's.
I'm thinking the multi switch.. and the 4 way.. as i hadn't used the 4 way. when it started to quit and then stalled. I was on the freeway. but I did pull the 4 way on when I pulled to the side and nothing worked excepted both dash light cam on when I pressed the brake and even turning the 4 way off the brake still lights them up. and no signal works.
So does that sound like the problem? the 4 way for the brake lights lighting up the dash signal lights and the multi switch for the no start? Never tried the 4 way before so I don't know how long it may have been broken and wasn't causing a problem until I tried to use it..
Its not at home its in a parking lot.. I'm going to jumper the coil and see if I can get it home under its own power today (this morning).

Thanks
tim

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If the engine is turning over but not starting it could be the timing belt is broken.

There are a few things you can do to test that...one is to remove the distributor cap and crank the engine...the distributor will not turn if the belt is broken.

If the belt cover is off the engine it is much easier to see if the cam gear is turning but you can also see it from the driver seat by peering under the hood...if you put a dab or two of something like paint, nail polish, whiteout on the backside of the cam gear you can see it turning when you crank the engine. If it is not turning then you can be pretty certain the belt is broken.

If that is he main problem with driving the vehicle then address that first...the signal light flashing when you touch the brake pedal could be as stated by the others...but that isn't going to get your engine running if the timing belt is broken.

Belts are actually easy to replace even if you've never done it before. There are a few posts on that here and I've seen videos on YouTube...

Last edited:

pedal2themetal45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone. My gas gauge doesn't work.. but in my defence I had just gased it up and only had 63 miles on the tank. but I got jacked.. it was out of gas. Put some fuel in it and it started to run.. I did notice that when I found that I had spark and I looked at the fuel filler tube the little flap for Unleaded was all screwed up.. and it was not that way when I gased up. So I guess its time to invest on a locking cap.
Oh the electrict problem was the 4 way .. the flasher was out on it and I could n't tell if it was off or on.. all works good now..
Thanks again all
tim

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Don'tcha just love thieves? Hands should be removed when caught.

Thanks for posting the "fixes".

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Glad you figured it out.
[emoji106]

Eric B

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals