• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC parts swap from 94 Explorer into 92 Explorer

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My nice 1992 Explorer has non functional R12 AC. There is a leak somewhere, the system is pretty much empty.

The other Explorer I have, a 1994, is undergoing race mode mods and AC will be removed completely. It is currently functional and charged with R134a.

See what I'm getting at? Use as much of the stuff as possible from the '94 to fix the '92? My thought is to get new lines, seals, and dryer for a '94, use the compressor from the '94. I'd be using the condenser and evaporator from the '92 unless there's a reason to swap that stuff.

Is that the easiest way to accomplish my goal or is simply retrofitting the existing stuff in the '92 easier?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Frankly, you can pretty much pick up the whole system from the 94 and put it into the 92 without even opening it up.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I may try that, I was worried about not being able to get the condenser out without unhooking the lines but that doesn't seem to be an issue. The evaporator/drier/etc looks like it'll be the difficult part but I haven't seen anything preventing me from doing it yet... and it's all coming out one way or another... so...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have confirmation that the complete AC system can be removed without opening it. It's awkward and involves removing a lot of stuff under the hood but well worth it. I need to put a new thermostat in the '92 and will be doing a water pump, fan clutch and radiator at the same time so I'll be back with an update sooner or later. In any case, it's exciting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be tough with the evaporator housing. I pulled one from a 4cyl first gen and it took nothing to break the steel line coming out of the evaporator housing.

V6's are a PITA to pull the A/C heater box on to start off with and then you usually start twisting studs off the typically rotted out firewall. Not saying it couldn't be done and I was making no effort to save anything aside from the plastic box and receiver/drier clamp but it is going to be tough.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I already have the whole system removed from my 2 door Explorer. It wasn't too bad, just took a couple hours.

The main things I removed to make it easier were the radiator, wiring harness that goes over the engine and to the driver's side, heater hoses, and the passenger side inner wheel well. With that stuff out of the way, the heater plenum could be removed easily and the evaporator came right out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK... mission mostly accomplished. I transplanted the complete AC system into my '92 Explorer.

I have one small question: the newer system has two pressure switches, one on the accumulator and one on the suction/discharge hose assembly. The older system only has one switch on the accumulator. Thus my vehicle only has one plug in the wiring harness.

Is the second pressure switch necessary? I have no problem clipping it out of my '94 harness and adding it, if it's as simple as that - the wiring diagram seems to show that the second switch is simply in line with the first so that the compressor clutch turns on and off at the right time.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The 2nd switch is a high-pressure safety cutout switch that was added with the changeover to R-134a due to the higher operating pressure R-134a requires. I don't think there would be any issue leaving it disconnected unless there was a malfunction in the system (plugged orifice, etc.) since there should also be a high-pressure relief valve on it as well. I also seem to recall as well it simply being wired in series with the other (low-pressure cycling) switch, so it shouldn't be too big a deal to splice it inline, which I'd probably do myself if I already had the switch and it's associated wiring on hand. That said, I did a R-134a conversion on my BII 9 years ago and never added any additional cutout switches to it... Haven't had any issues.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good deal, I talked to a couple other people who also said that it can be left out. Air is working perfectly without it in any case, I'm so glad I had the parts on hand to do the swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals