• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.3 4x4 build up!

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Whats up TRS, this is my first post ever. Ive used this site for years, and I have learned alot. I think now it is time to share my experiences on this new truck. I have been searching for a little rare ranger. I wanted a 1st or second gen, had to have a 2.3L, manual 5 speed, shortbed, and a manual transfer case 4x4. I love the little 2.3L, it might lack some power but it is bulletproof.:yahoo:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Past rangers

I have had many rangers, my first was a 1988 ranger that was my highschool truck. I painted it yellow, and didnt do much else other than put on a cheap glass pack. I did make a youtube video about it though https://youtu.be/p7fC0vmdT4Y

I just recently sold that truck to a friend, but I still see it all the time.

Another ranger of mine was a 1990 2.9L 5 speed 4x4. I bought it, but didnt know the frame was bent all out of shape. I drove it for awhile even with the bent frame, until the transmission went. That truck was a lemon though, but it left me with alot of great parts. Also made a video on it.
https://youtu.be/vSdxG3Eu4bM
https://youtu.be/ou5lPsFDea0

Last edited:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My new project

It took me about 4 months of searching to find the exact truck. I loved the 2.3 in my yellow truck, but I loved 4x4 and offroading of my 1990. I found out that ford did make a 2.3 4x4. It was just kind of rare, they were not kidding. 4 months to find it. I thought I found one, but it was just some square trying to pass off his 2wd as a 4x4, got to love craigslist. I did find one though, it was on craigslist for a total of 8 minutes before I saw it. My dream truck. It was 4 hours away and I rode my dualsport through a storm to pick it up, yea I am nuts. The truck is a 1989, 2.3L, 4x4, short bed, 5 speed, with a manual transfer case. I think it is funny that my 1988 was 2.3 2wd, my 1990 was v6 4x4....this one was the missing link between them two. SO I named it Link.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
still trying to figure out images, if anyone knows let me know!!!!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
For images, you can use an image hosting site, or attach them here but your space is limited. I use Imgur and it works great.

Sounds like you found my exact truck; 1989 2.3 4x4 Manual. I ended up putting a 4.0 in mine eventually.

I can't wait to see your truck. I love the 89-92 Generation shortbeds.

*This thread should be moved to Truck Discussions > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

Last edited:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Moved thread as BlackBII suggested.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Figured out images!

Ok so I figured it out how to post images, thanks to BlackBII. This little ranger was owned by an elderly man, he babied this thing. I'm talking had the seat redone, new headliner, carpet....the works. There was a receipt stack in the glove box dating back to 1997. Ridiculous! It just hit 120k miles, factory ac is ICE cold, has a factory bench seat that is extra comfy.
[/url][/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The plan is to swap out the dana 28 and stock 7.5 with a dana 35 and ford 8.8 from a 1992 explorer. I have already swapped axles before to my 1990 ranger, but I kept the factory gears in the axle. I do have a set of 4.56 laying around that would be great with 32 inch tires and the little 4 banger. I also have the james duff 5.5 lift, going to start pulling parts off the old ranger this weekend

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That truck is clean! I am jealous. Mine was owned by an old man as well... An old Farmer man. He used the truck as his farm vehicle and the interior was trashed.

The plan is to swap out the dana 28 and stock 7.5 with a dana 35 and ford 8.8 from a 1992 explorer. I have already swapped axles before to my 1990 ranger, but I kept the factory gears in the axle. I do have a set of 4.56 laying around that would be great with 32 inch tires and the little 4 banger. I also have the james duff 5.5 lift, going to start pulling parts off the old ranger this weekend
This sounds like an excellent plan. In fact, it's exactly what I am doing.(4.56, 32"s, ~4 inches of lift, etc).

I am excited to watch this build.

Looks like you have some extra bbcode on your images. You only need one set of IMG tags;

Last edited:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had to remove all of the old man goodies, lol. It had the bug deflector, plastic bed liner with the metal trim on the bed rails and tailgate. Window water shields ( dont know the actual word) Oh get this, the truck had a snow plow attachment!!!! Can you image pushing snow with a stock 4x4 ranger!!!! It hung down so low that it would scrap curbs, it had to go! It also had a removable giant center console, and those fancy hubcaps, which are on there surprising well.
I plan to fabricate some rock rails, tube front and rear bumpers also to fix my approach and departure angle. It is also my daily driver while commuting to college. It is much better than driving my fullsized 4x4 van lol

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I say you keep the hubcaps; they're sweet. :icon_twisted:

Sounds like you have some good plans for this truck. Bumpers and sliders are a must have if it's going to be seeing rocky trails.

My rocker panels are all dented up from me being lazy and not building some rock sliders.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I still haven't decided to either bolt on rock sliders or weld them on. Also I don't plan on doing a body lift. I also don't plan on taking this thing on too gnarly of stuff, but I want to have it protected in case of a high center, or some old lady forgets the difference between gas and brakes and decides to try to slide tackle the ranger. The offroad group that I am in has easy trails and there is always a way around.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome! Clean looking 4cyl 4x4 you have there! Looks almost identical to my '91 2.3 4x4. Was it originally dark blue? I love this gen truck haha. Unlike BlackB2 I went the route of a 2.3 turbo in mine though :p

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Nice truck man. I bet if you buffed that paint with some compound and a coat of wax, it would shine right up. That's how the paint on my Rambler looked when I got it. A little elbow grease and it was sparkling like new and turning heads.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The truck was originally black, still has the original paint on it. I plan on keeping it blacked out. This weekend was pretty unproductive, but next weekend I am going to remove the 8.8 and dana 35 from my trashed 4x4. Going to remove the lift off of it also. I will not have the time to install the lift until thanksgiving unfortunately. But the time gap will allow me plenty of time to clean, rebuild, and regear the axles! 4.56 gears here we come!!!! @Turbo91xlt, your truck looks like mine! How do you like the turbo 2.3? I would be worried about it eating the transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals