• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 BII 4.0 swap daily driver need wiring help fast please..

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took the engine, ecu, dash, engine harness, headlight harness, all electric components from a 91 explorer auto, and a m5od r1 from a 00 ranger but I think I goofed and missed the computer behind the seat of the explorer. All the diagrams I have show leads to the pcm. And I cut that harness of about 23 wires give or take. Did I really screw the pooch by doing this? or is it possible to splice and use my BII pcm? Or do I really need one at all to get this truck on the road? I should have all mechanical parts to make this truck drivable all I need is some major wiring help.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You'll need to use the 4.0 pcm. It is located on the passenger side interior kick panel on the right hand side. What wires did you cut?

The 4.0 engine harness goes from the computer on the passenger side, out the firewall and across the engine and in front of the radiator, and it all connects back at the drivers side firewall plug. I recommend grabbing the whole thing.

Last edited:

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the one on the passenger side. I cut the wires under the carpet drivers door rear panel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The explorer tail light harness and abs (I assume) was connected to this harness. Is that not the pcm?

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Basically I grabbed every single part from the seats to the grill. And a few plugs for the tranny. But I didn't grab the computer box or harness behind the driver seat.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming the computer I'm talking about is for abs and stuff and isn't required? Now I need to figure out rear lights, 4x4 indicators, frame rail fuel pump wiring. Any help or diagrams would help alot. I can't seem to find any good info on this.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All my posts to my own thread makes me feel like I'm talking to myself haha. After chasing wires I found what I need on the bronco side for rear lights. I also found basically the same wire color configuration as the diagram but in two DIFFERENT locations on the explorer harness. Is it possible there were two options for one harness in 91? Options being manual trans firewall connectors and auto trans interior connections? I'll send pics of what I'm talking about.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Square plug is an all in one bronco2 firewall. And the two round plugs are firewall explorer all with the same colors.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need advice

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are two plugs in the Explorer harness that will be round and their counter parts on the BII will be square. They are for things like lights and the pins are the same. I just took the pins out of the newer shells and put them in the older ones so they plug right in.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pins on mine are different. 87 bronco. There are 4 plugs for fuel, lights, abs, 4x4 indicators, backup lights, fuel sender. And there are 4 plugs with the same wire colors described in the diagram for both trucks on the explorer firewall. 2 of wich were not used. The lights , abs were all ran interior on the explorer and frame on the b2. My question is do these plugs in the firewall ,explorer, do the same as the ones on the interior? I'm afraid of hooking it up and putting power to things wrong and poof.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put a 93 4,0 from a ranger into an 86 bronco.What I did was built a spot for the ECM your going to need that completely different electronic system. I think the Explorer ECM is on the other side and you do don't need to make a container.I put the 4.0 in unplugged the wires on the 2.9 on it took it out.I put the 4.0 dash in and the plug from the dash plugged directly thought the firewall to the original wire loom for the 4.0.On mine the wire loom rolled around the engine compartment I cut the wires on my old harness where lights and turn signals go as I went around the engine compartment.The wires were the same colors as I cut and spliced but I had a wiring diagram for the 4.0 chassis to double check.

Then I took the loom that feeds the back of the car.This is fuel pump tail lights etc. this plug doesn't fit anymore so I took the other ends of the plugs from the donor wiring looms which you should have and made a adapter plug splicing the colors together and plugged in the back wiring. Again the wire colors stay the same except for very few.

Ok where it got bloody for me is the fuel pump wouldn't work unless I ran the 93 steering column couldn't figure out why fuel pump wouldn't work saw pink wire with a black stripe in4.0 steering column so put it in and worked good everything plugged together too.

Ok things to watch for does your donor ecm have a auto if so it won't turn over till neutral safety switch is satisfied clutch safety same way.It wont run as well with a auto ECM try to find a manual ECM.Don't forget to hot up original B2 stuff on relay firewall passenger side. Move original 4.0 under hood fuse box with loom.If your putting in wiring cut as a last resort change the pins as adam08 says if you can.If you do cut the wiring do it in certain places like the adapter plug so you know where to look if you have electrical problems I hope this helps.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That does help. I did the everything from the donor except the rear harness. I did get a manual ecu for the same year at the yard so that's not a problem. Everything went in without a hitch. Dash was a bit of a pain but build some brackets and got it done. The only problem I'm having is the 2 sets of plugs in the harness from the explorer. One interior and one in the firewall. Both seem to have the same wires minus a few and I was trying to verify they were for another option or model. If it's any help explaining they are on the bulkhead harness. Very thing else is cake

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I got most of the lights, fuel to work. But I can't seem to get the fuel guage to work. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals