• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger 2.3 and 84 skamper Pop op

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nightmare!!!!
I do not know what I did wrong I used a hitch not bumper and I checked everything out. My truck did not have power steering but its light enough to turn once the wheels are turning. Clutch was almost new brakes new going down the road around 35 4O mph it was ok any thing over omg I thought the camper was going to take us in the ditch and flip us. My hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel so tight on the highway yes the clutch is probably wore down a little now. So what can I do to make my trip safer next time I heard something about flipping my leafs on my Camper??? and I have heard sway bars directly hooked to my bumper. What do I do. I notice my leaf was broke the other day I fixed the leaf and added to both sides a helper leaf took it down the road with camper hooked but same. helllpppppp I cant handle another 2 hour trip when it should of been 45 minute trip..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What's the tongue weight of the trailer? If you can easily lift the tongue of the trailer you probably have too much weight at the back of the trailer. 10%-15% of the trailer weight should be at the coupler. IE; If the trailer weighs 3000# then the tongue coupler should weigh 300#. Take the trailer to a weigh station and weigh it. Weigh your truck front axle first, then weigh your rear axle and add the two, then weigh the trailer axle. Now weigh your truck without the trailer, front first then rear and add the two. Subtract the new truck weight from the original, that will give you the amount of tongue weight the trailer coupler sees. Now devide the coupler weight by the trailer weight, move the decimal point to the left two spots, that will give you the % weight on the tongue. Make sure it's 10%to 15% of the trailer weight. Post your weights up here if you still have problems.

If the above didn't help then another option is to get a weight distribution hitch with the optional anti-sway shock, but you really shouldn't need it.

PS check the suspension on the trailer for loose bearings, shackles, bolts etc.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Your trailer is tail heavy, been there done that, very scary :)

You need more weight in the front of the trailer, NOT in the bed of the truck.

If it is easy to lift the tongue and put it on the hitch then tongue is too light, trailer is TOO balanced, which sounds good but NOT FOR TOWING.

Also check the axle and wheels on the trailer

Last edited:

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you I will do what I can to check it all out and let you know

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never had a whole lot of luck towing with the four cylinder Rangers I feel the rear leaf springs are too soft.

They definitely enjoy having some tongue weight and a set of air shocks as always made me feel a little better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you just add helper leaves, or did you replace the broken one as well?

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the shocks in the rear are good too.

I would move all your gear to the front of the camper if possible. I'm guessing that those have the axle pretty close to the middle, so it'd be easy to upset the balance. You want 10% or more of the total weight on the tongue.

Pump the rear tires up pretty hard too. They will squat and sway if under inflated. LT tires are a lot better for towing and hauling than P tires as well.

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
How did it work for you?

I have a 2001 flagstaff/forest river 176LTD which is around 2250lbs loaded. 1997 2.3L ranger with 8.8 and it tows it beautifully. As others have said, I'm pretty sure your tongue weight is way too light. I always weigh it before leaving on a trip and I'll always make sure its atleast 200 pounds at a very minimum.

I keep clothes at the back of the camper on the floor, stove is under the bench seating(right over the axle) and chairs/food bin/etc are all forward of the axle to keep weight distributed correctly.

I've towed that thing since 2001 brand new and never had an issue with my little 97.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals