• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Problems no Drive

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always Be Humble And Kind
Truck has no Drive however Park, Neutral, Reverse, 1 and 2 work just fine. I can be at a full stop then drive about 30mph on 2 then put it on Drive and all the gears will change nice and smooth but when Im at a full stop and try to drive off on Drive it will just rev. Is it the sprag or overdrive band or should I just rebuilt the whole tranny will I am at it? 200k miles

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Rebuild the tranny, had the same issues with my 88 Bronco 2's transmission. FYI its about $2400 to rebuild it. Might be more with the newer transmission though.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I feel like you might just be throwing out the names of parts inside the trans that you just happen to know when you put forward your ideas.

I feel this way, because the two parts you mention won't produce no drive, but leave manual 1st and 2nd working, IIRC (been I while since I dealt with a 4R/5R trans. But either way at 200K if you are taking the trans out you may as well be putting a reman unit in because by the time you fix your current problems and take are of the "while I am here" things you have rebuilt the trans.

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thank for your input guys. I was told by my local mechanic (that specializes in transmissions) it may be a broken Sprag or the over drive band is out... Good to know that this mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about and just trying to take my money. Next question is which rebuilt kit should I get for it I looked up O'Reily Auto Parts and they have a few kits but for different prices. Pioneer Inc. Automatic Transmission Super Kit for 243.99, Pioneer Inc. Automatic Transmission Overhaul Kit for146.99 and Pioneer Inc. Automatic Transmission Power Torque Automatic Transmission Rebuilt Kit for 139.00. I am on a budget so any recomendations?

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Turns out that 1st gear don't work after test driving the truck today. So Drive and first gear are out but 2nd and reverse still work.

Any suggestions as to what I need to replace in the transmission?

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Had a similar(?) problem with overdrive on the A4LD on my old 88 Mustang - could shift into OD at highway speed and it would drive fine - until I stopped at a light (or whatever), then I was dead in the water and would have to downshift. Yhe general consensus then was sprag clutch failure (smart man than me details this below:)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/893540-anyone-heard-of-this-a4ld-problem-strange.html

Thinking this was what your mechanic was thinking about.

General consensus back then was also, if this is failing, you're due for a rebuild or replacement (unless you really like repeatedly dropping transmissions and getting left at the side of the road). I picked up a JY transmission and it worked good for me until someone else borrowed the car an it got totalled.

You're dealing with a newer truck/transmission and I have no tech info for you. But I think you're getting good advice here.

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I got this mechanic that will do the labor to fix the problem so before I get him to take down the tranny I just want to know what parts to buy to have for him to rebuilt. Repeat I want him to fix the problem and rebuilt the tranny.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you get parts for correct transmission, 1998 could have a 4R or 5R

You for sure need a new forward one-way clutch and main pump, only use a Ford main pump.
And a new torque converter, always
Check Overdrive drum for heat damage and "out of round", replace if either problem is seen.

If you just replace bands, clutches and servos you will be pulling trans again in 10 to 18 months to install the other parts, so do it now

Last edited:

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
My mechanic suggested a rebuilt kit with All Paper Gaskets, Pan Gasket, Rubber O Rings, Rubber Lip Seals, Metal Clad Seals, Sealing Rings, Friction Clutch Plates Forward band, reverse band, and Sprag. Should I also have him replace the main pump, torque converter and overdrive drum.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sprag is the one-way clutch.
Yes, always replace main pump and only use Ford pump, and always replace torque converter.
Measure and inspect OD drum, replace if out of round or heat damaged

There is a replacement valve body that has gasket bonded to it, the "loose" gasket was a known issue with the 4R/5R transmissions

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks a lot RonD I will make sure to get those parts and take to my mechanic. I will update this hopefully by 2 weeks from now.

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Turns out it was the valve body guys. -2300 to rebuilt the trans... guess the fat tires and lift will have to wait.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals