• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Ranger for Towing

78 Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking for recommendations for the best year of Ranger to get. Purpose would be daily driver M-F on weekends pull a trailer that weighs 900 with a load on the trailer of 1500 so total 2400.

If possible I would like a 2wd Ex Cab with a 4 banger and auto trans.

I have owned many different Rangers from 87-99 2wd and 4wd and a 92 that had a 302 in it. I know nothing about the 2000 and up Rangers.

So anyone have a good recommendation?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's a lot for a 4cyl, auto no matter what year it is. it's going to require some re-gearing at least as even a 4.10 rear probably wouldn't be quite enough to get the most out of that engine/tranny combo. too bad you still don't have that '92 with teh 302 as that would work for sure.
i'm sure others more knowledgeable than myself wioll post up here. also, there are a number of threads in this forum that will have additional information for you.
good luck, and Welcome to TRS.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the 4 cy auto in a 4x2 ext cab was even availble after '98', might be wrong again but don't see it listed in the '98' or 2000 owners manual in the towing section. Don't see it in the sales brochures either.
Dave

78 Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think the 4 cy auto in a 4x2 ext cab was even availble after '98', might be wrong again but don't see it listed in the '98' or 2000 owners manual in the towing section. Don't see it in the sales brochures either.
Dave
I dont know if it was offered. Yes I would like an auto but I know there were a lot of different issues. I know the 5 speeds are more reliable.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
you said youve owned 87-99, the 98 and 99 are the same as the 2000+, minus engine, but for what you are wanting i would look for the 01+ with the 2.3 duratec i4, should be able to handle the wieght you need, just dont expect to get the 70 that fast a 3.0 or 4.0 would prob be better suited

98+ had a extend cab i4 option only seen it a small handfull, its more popular in the 05+(a guestimate, in the state like oklahoma the i4 extended is a popular option

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
If you are looking for a tow vehicle, then the 4.0 is your best option. I have an 02, Edge 2x4 with tow package, 3.73s and a 3.0L. It will handle the load, but it will not like it. The new automatics are 5 speeds. IMO the automatic is the better tow option with a good tranny cooler, and much easier fluid maintance. PS: stick to stock tire sizes, oversized tires will effectively reduce your gear ratio. If you can find it, a 4.0L with Auto, tow package (the drums are bigger 10 in vs 9 in) and 4.11 rear would give you quite a good tow truck.

78 Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are looking for a tow vehicle, then the 4.0 is your best option. I have an 02, Edge 2x4 with tow package, 3.73s and a 3.0L. It will handle the load, but it will not like it. The new automatics are 5 speeds. IMO the automatic is the better tow option with a good tranny cooler, and much easier fluid maintance. PS: stick to stock tire sizes, oversized tires will effectively reduce your gear ratio. If you can find it, a 4.0L with Auto, tow package (the drums are bigger 10 in vs 9 in) and 4.11 rear would give you quite a good tow truck.
Thanks for that info. I have considered the 4.0 my 99 was a 4wd 4.0 with a 5 speed. Power was really good but I dont think the mpg was to good. Are the newer 4.0s getting better mpg now?

JPRanger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not really, expect about the same gas mileage with the SOHC 4 liter

Edit: If you're going with a 2wd setup, then you'll receive slightly better fuel economy, but it still won't be good

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that info. I have considered the 4.0 my 99 was a 4wd 4.0 with a 5 speed. Power was really good but I dont think the mpg was to good. Are the newer 4.0s getting better mpg now?
But the 3.0 does mot get really any better MPG, and it is a lot weaker towing motor.........:headbang: Love my 3.0 on those really long, long, long Down hills.........:icon_rofl:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Well, Eric knows this story, but my buddies mom took a horse trailer with 2 horses in it across the US showing it. She used a 4 cylinder B2000, this was in the 80's people 0_0. The truck was not modified at all, BUT, it did have a frame mounted hitch. The truck was traded in for an F150 6 years later at a ford dealership.

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
The 2003 FX4 I have is VERY happy pulling around trailers - I think its happier pulling a trailer than it is empty.
The FX4 package includes a lot of things you would want for trailering -
transmission cooler, heavy duty shocks, oversized rear drums, and 4.10 gear ratio
I pulled a Kubota tractor with it, it pulled that like it wasn't even there - stayed in overdrive pretty much the entire time.
The Terry 460cm boat it pulled easily as well, but it did shift out of overdrive a few times.

ChesterSPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I also have a 03 fx4 I agree with the above post, I think mine is happier pulling something than not. This is the best tow vehicle you can get for the size. The brakes, suspension and everything on these small trucks makes them tanks for there size and perfect for pulling. The gas mileage is crap but I wouldn't have bought an FX4 if I was looking as gas mileage. You are not going to be happy if you short change yourself and get something to "weak" for what you need. You are going to to use just as much gas trying to move to heavy a load with to little a engine than getting the 4.0 and it not working itself to death.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
But the 3.0 does mot get really any better MPG, and it is a lot weaker towing motor.........:headbang: Love my 3.0 on those really long, long, long Down hills.........:icon_rofl:
A 3.0 with auto and a 4.0 with manual get the exact same MPG!!

78 Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update...
Went and test drove a 2003 Reg Cab 2wd with a 2.3 and a 5 speed. I must say that little 2.3 was fun. Over all the suspension is what I consider soft. Other than that it was pretty good. I probably would upgrade the shocks, stiffen the rear suspension up a little and add an 8.8. Now I just need to find a Ex cab......

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck drives better towing something imo..04 edge 3.0 5 speed seems to shift better and all with a load behind it. i don't know if a 4 banger would do it think you'd fry the tranny..just make sure to get a tranny cooler

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals