• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towed for my first time yesterday

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
when i got my jetskis a couple years ago and realized i needed to learn how to pull a trailer and maneuver it, i went for gold lol i just hooked it up and drove straight to the nearest slip via backroads and backed that sucker right in there a few times to get the feel of it.

i look goofy as hell backing a trailer up though, one hand on the top of the steering wheel, one hand on the back of the passenger seat while i'm craning my neck as far back as it can go so i can see as much as possible with the slide window open.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Longer the trailer (measured from the hitch ball to the trailer axle centerline) the easier it is to back up (because it turns less abrubtly)

I use my mirrors.

Backing up a trailer is the best reason I can think of for using Low Range with your hubs unlocked.

If you must put a trailer into a tight spot a front receiver takes a lot of the
effort out of it.

AD

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
aint that the truth, as long as your not driving uphill in the rain.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hook your trailer to your riding mower and practice. Lets you get the feel for the trailer/vehicle relationship without a truck in the way of seeing it.

That's how I learned.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
find a field and some boxes, make a "spot" for the trailer, and go for it.... just don't jackknife it and you're golden. find out what works for you, listen to the tips above, but find the one that works for you..
i personally don't use mirrors and don't grab the bottom of the wheel. only time i use mirror is when i am backing the semi's in the shop, when i don't have a choice
Great advice. Find a spot and practice. Empty parking lots work well too.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great advice. Thanks guys.

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I pulled a 5x9 utility trailer with a riding mower in it. It was actually really easy with the Ranger. Now I just need for figure out the whole backing thing.
my first time was using the boss's truck (newer crew cab ford 1 ton dually) towing a trailer like a 5x9 or something. then i had to tow an 18ft tandem axle flat deck with a different boss's truck a 3/4 ton f250 down into the mine site loaded up a "grizzly" for a wash plant and dragged it back to camp.

also pulled a 6x12 single axle trailer with 4 racing mowers in it with the ranger. had no problems considering each mower weighs 300lbs.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My first time was back in '82 when I was about 20. Pulled a 26' travel trailer with an F150 on a narrow Wisconsin country road. Since then I have pulled many different size and type trailers with both cars and trucks. My most recent was using my dad's 2004 Dodge 1500 quad-cab Hemi to pull my '93 Ranger on a car trailer when my tranny went out 2 weeks ago. That Hemi is a fun truck to drive until you pull into a gas station, LOL!

06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L or 140 C.I.
Transmission
Automatic
I learned via towing around airplanes some use the front hitch some use the rear. thats my best advice.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I backup, be it, gooseneck flatbed, gooseneck horse trailer, or a little lawn mower trailer, 99% of the time I look behind me, the other 1% of the time I use my mirrors. I hate using mirrors with a passion, and I would rather look out the back, and I find it easier to just look behind you...

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
I have always taught people by going to a vacant parking lot. You can get the hang of it pretty quickly when you aren't worried about running over things. Once you can back your trailer around the building, you're good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals