• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

makin' my truck horny...!

ebgbz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I NEED to install these horns on my std cab '94 Ranger. Can anyone offer a novice some elec./wiring recommendations AND possible a location. They sound like a train but as you can see there are 4 units!

Attachments

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I am not sure of the current draw on these horns, do you have any info on them other than 12 volts ?

Run a fused wire from the battery to a relay, pin 30.
Continue the same gauge wire from pin 87 to the horns.
To actuate the relay with a button, run a fused wire from your circuit panel, to a switch, to pin 85 on the relay.
From pin 86 run a ground wire.

When you throw or press the switch the horns should blow.

All components, especially the wire should be gauged for the total amperage of the circuit.
Use a four pin automotive relay of at least 30 amp rating, (higher if the four horns need more current) standard size for most automotive applications. If you use a five pin relay with pin #87A, it will be hot with 12 volts when the horn is not working, so it will need to be covered with heat-shrink or something may short on it.
The horn switch can be lower amperage, the wire can be 18 or 20 gauge maybe smaller dependent on the amperage draw to actuate the relay. I use 16 ga on all my relay actuating wiring because I have access to it but otherwise I would use a smaller gauge wire.
Fuses need to based on the amperage draw of the horns and the relay actuation amperage, check out the standard fuse in your truck and then double it for the fuse from the battery.
Make sure your wiring is based on that same amperage rating, if a short occurs the wire needs to carry the full current until the fuse blows, eliminating a chance of fire.

I hope this helps some and not confusing.
If you have any more questions just ask… !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals