• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to install a after market fuel sender

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a v8 swapped ranger and a after market gauge pack. If you use this thread then realize that you may need a 73-10 ohm sender. Sender swap was made on a 1983 108wb truck.

First get your supplies ready:

5 - 10-32 screws
5 - #8 washers
1 - 10-32 nut
1 - backing plate (got mine at tanksinc.com)
1 - neoprene gasket
1 - cork gasket
1 - sender, I used a 240-30 autometer
1 - 3/16 drill bit
1 - 1 1/2 inch hole saw
- A jig saw with a metal blade
- a drill
- a shop vac

Survey the tank where you want to put the new sender. I chose the back of the tank. Then I put down the backing ring and sprayed a coat of yellow paint to use as a template for drilling.

Now take the 1 1/2 hole saw and punch it through the center. Then drill out the 5 holes for the screw. Then take the jig saw and notch the hole just enough for the sender block to drop in the hole and vacuum the inside and outside of the tank. If you drill while the vacuum is next to the bit it will help with the shavings.

Measure the depth and if needed draw a template. My tank was 11 inches so I put my sender length at 5.5. Then I cut the float rod and installed it on the sender.

Drop the backing ring followed by the neoprene gasket in the tank using one bolt to hold up in through a hole. This will act as a stud. Then instal the gasket followed by the sender.

Snug every thing down and reinstall the tank if you removed it from the truck. (Not necessaryas I changed tanks and sdumped mine)

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice write up. I take it that this wasn't a kit or a stock RBV tank. Why the change?
Also you should submit this to the tech section.

Richard

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure how to submit.

It's a new stock reproduced (dorman brand) 108wb tank for a 83 ranger. The sump is a comp engineering dual 3/8 feed sump welded in and a auto meter sender.

I sumped it for straight line performance as to prevent fuel cuts on lower tanks and added baffles inside it. The stock sender from 1983 was dead and is no longer reproduced. It was also a bad range as most aftermarket parts are 240-30 and not 73-10.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals