• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap q's

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok me and my wife are tackling the infamous 4.0 swap. We got a 92 4.0 out of a Explorer. I have been studying all the info I can find online about the swap. From what I have gathered If I use a 1990-1992 Ranger Harness I won't have to splice anything it's just plug and play?? And for the 4 wires you would have to splice for the heater controls all you have to do is swap the blower resistor and it will plug right in ?? I'm trying to do this swap with as little wiring as possible. Please help !!! I'm currently trying to locate a harness and ECU, which for some reason is rather hard around here (delaware). Right now I'm tearing into the motor, I'm going to do a compete gasket kit and paint the motor, and was going to play with wiring it in the mean while. If anyone can help me I would appriciate it.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
whats the vehicle you're working on?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tech library is very detailed about this. Thats the main thing I used on my swap.

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have read on the tech section but im double checking myself....its a 1990 bronco ll. So do i have it right in my first post?? Cause i know there are variations....but if i use a 1990 or 1991 ranger harness than it should plug right into the bwp right?? And than i could wire my lights into the new bwp?? Sorry read so much info today im starting to oget overwhelmed. Sorry for being such a noob but i really want gto get this right the first time.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Apparently they changed the harness every year. Mine came from a 94 ranger. I took the entire harness,and the only thing that was spliced was the taillight harness. Every swap is different.

I still have some issues with blinkers, and stuff, some were there when I got the truck and just compounded as I added the new stuff.

Looking back, it wasn;t that bad. During the swap, I cussed a lot. Its recommended that you have the donor vehicle there, while ur doing the swap, so u can go back and forth. You will do a lot of that. Also its handy when u forgot something that u need.

Accelerator cables are diff, does ur donor vehicle have elec shift 4wd, what about power windows, if ur going that route. Don't forget about the inertia switch.

Plus a million other things.

Its well worth the time and effort. I will be doing this in my other B2 as soon as I can find and afford a suitable donor vehicle.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a haynes or chiltons manual too. They come in real handy. One for the B2/ranger will work as long as u stay below 92. If u get an explorer harness, u will need an explorer manual.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok me and my wife are tackling the infamous 4.0 swap. We got a 92 4.0 out of a Explorer. I have been studying all the info I can find online about the swap. From what I have gathered If I use a 1990-1992 Ranger Harness I won't have to splice anything it's just plug and play?? And for the 4 wires you would have to splice for the heater controls all you have to do is swap the blower resistor and it will plug right in ?? I'm trying to do this swap with as little wiring as possible. Please help !!! I'm currently trying to locate a harness and ECU, which for some reason is rather hard around here (delaware). Right now I'm tearing into the motor, I'm going to do a compete gasket kit and paint the motor, and was going to play with wiring it in the mean while. If anyone can help me I would appriciate it.
You need a 92 wiring harness.. the dash wiring is the only wiring that is plug and play... Even the wiring for the light switch when you open the doors will need to be changed... So unless the harness is with the dash... use a 92 harness.. I have done two 4.0 swaps and this applied for both...

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well i guess i fudged up....i grabbed a harness out of a 1994 xploder....though it didnt have the cam syncro. I plugged it in tonight....im going to need to splice the tails.....i have interior power....aside from power windows and locks.....and that was just off plugging it in.....but my switched power isnt working. Also my instrument lights are staying on constant. Going to get the wiring diagrams tomorrow. I just thought i would try plugging it in and see what happened....just playin around right now while the motor is being overhauled.....didnt want to throw junk in it....and than pull it 2 months from now

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2nd gen truck, 2nd gen engine. you are already set up for the easiest 4.0 swap possible. use a 90-92 ranger wiring harness and it will be plug and play.

if you cant find that harness, it can still be done. it wont be nearly as easy though....

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking for a 90~92. Harness from a ranger......seems to be impossible around here though.....of course i only paid 30 for this one and the ecu......so maybe ill look around some more. Im in delaware....so if i have to drive to md or va to get one it will still be ok.....if anyone on here is from around my area and knows where there is one let me know ill go get it im wanting this swap to go as easy as possible. Its the wifes truck and she is getting antsy to drive her baby again

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was looking for a 90~92. Harness from a ranger......seems to be impossible around here though.....of course i only paid 30 for this one and the ecu......so maybe ill look around some more. Im in delaware....so if i have to drive to md or va to get one it will still be ok.....if anyone on here is from around my area and knows where there is one let me know ill go get it im wanting this swap to go as easy as possible. Its the wifes truck and she is getting antsy to drive her baby again
you'll want to use the computer that came with the engine. i think after 92, they did the fuel injection differently.

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ECU didn't come with engine....did I screw up all the way around ??

RayRayBaby1990

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
shoot I was wishing they had the ecu and harness there when I grabbed the motor, but no luck. the 94 exploder harness and ecu were all I could find. Wish I could find a 90-92 ranger harness so I could just plug play and drive.....maybe the good man upstairs will shine down. It could be worse though....I was about to jump on a 95 until I found out the difference LMAO

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hmmm... i think if you use the newer injectors you should be okay. i used a newer engine with older injectors and computer....

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Contact AllenD and he might be able to hook u up with what u need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals