• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

newbie here need some help

94rangerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im in the process of changing the rearend in my ranger, and the axle seal had to be replaced in the one im putting in the truck, and i went to remove the bolt to pull that pin out and it is stripped were i cant use a wrench socket or vise grips on it, is there anyway other way to get the c clip out or anyone know a good way to get that bolt out, i live in a small town and there are no shops around here

jhammel85

Try searching the site. Here's what I found that might be of best use,

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35795&highlight=axle+seal+bolt

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58870&highlight=bolt+stripped

Personally, I've never had one of those strip on me and they've all come out pretty easily. Not to say I havent had my time with a stripped bolt or two.

I know you said you aren't around any shops but what about ordering a set of easy outs from a chain like autozone? Amazon.com? Summitracing.com? My set has saved my butt more than once and much better than something awkward like welding a piece of metal to the stripped bolts, Vice grips or whatever else. If I recall correctly, you're working with a 8mm bolt? So you want something a tiny bit smaller that you can really bite into that metal with.

Good luck..And welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The easy outs I found only work with striped non stuck threads. There is a set of sockets that 'grab' stripped heads the harder you turn, that hatman was telling me about. Ibelieve they are swirl shaped ridges. prolly your best best.

jhammel85

^ these are what I was talking about. They're really nice to have.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm. This bolt is probably torqued down quite tight.

I've never had any luck with easy-outs, but I may not be using them properly. YMMV.

I prefer to cut a slot across the bolt head with a dremel, and use a ratchet or breaker-bar with a "drag link socket" on it... looks like a large screwdriver tip.

Alternately, you can drill the head off the bolt...use a drill bit a little larger than the outside diameter of the screw thread, and drill in the very center of the bolt head. The head will pop off after you drill through it.

Without the head on, the screw shank is under a lot less stress, so an easy-out could help. Even better if you have access to a set of left-hand-twist drill bits, to drill the pilot hole for the easy-out...as the drill bit cuts, it applies force that acts to unscrew the screw shank from the workpiece.

I've never heard of the "bolt-out" sockets before, might have to get a set of those the next time I have spare money lying around. :D

Spott

94rangerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks for the help, took an hour drive to the nearest part store got me a couple easy outs, and got it out, now my next quetion is, the rearend starting making a whining sound whenever i started to slow down it was kinda loud, and then it started to make like a grinding sound when ever i started to take off and spin, but all the gears and the slines look good dont have any chips or anything on them or in the housing it wasn't low on oil either, but it smeeled like it was burnt bad, what could of been causing that,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals