• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02' 2.3L Test Drive

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,

I am going to go test drive a 2002 2wd ranger that has a 2.3L with 143,000 on it. Is there any advice that you have? Anything that I should be on the lookout for??? I need a good reliable truck to get to my job (80 miles round trip). Is the 2.3 a reliable engine, even with 143K on it if it was well maintained? How much longer could the engine last, 200K???

Thank you for any advice!
~Hilltopfarm

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats what i drive. Theyre reliable engines and will go for a long time. They are known for being kinda noisy little engines though.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

I am going to go test drive a 2002 2wd ranger that has a 2.3L with 143,000 on it. Is there any advice that you have? Anything that I should be on the lookout for??? I need a good reliable truck to get to my job (80 miles round trip). Is the 2.3 a reliable engine, even with 143K on it if it was well maintained? How much longer could the engine last, 200K???

Thank you for any advice!
~Hilltopfarm
143,000 is not really bad. How much you paying for it? It would not hurt to look around some more before you decide to buy it. 80 miles a day is a lot after a year or so. If you can go new I would rather do that since you are driving 400+ miles a week. Thats 20,800 miles a year just for a truck to drive to work. If you go other places that adds up really fast. If something goes wrong with it it is up to your wallet to repair it and put you out of a days work to get it repaired if you can't fix it. Make sure you get all the paper work to show it has been well maintained. That is one less worry for you. Then you know you are getting a decent well taken care of truck.

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
143,000 is not really bad. How much you paying for it? It would not hurt to look around some more before you decide to buy it. 80 miles a day is a lot after a year or so.
I hope am going to offer $4700 (asking 5299). I have been looking for the past 4 months, and am kinda down to the wire now, since I start my job next week and do not want to drive my 88' ranger on the freeway ;) Good news is it is only 15 days a month I will be driving 80 miles a day (1,200/month, 14,400/year)

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thats what i drive. Theyre reliable engines and will go for a long time. They are known for being kinda noisy little engines though.
How many miles does yours have on the odo? Been pretty reliable?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I hope am going to offer $4700 (asking 5299). I have been looking for the past 4 months, and am kinda down to the wire now, since I start my job next week and do not want to drive my 88' ranger on the freeway ;) Good news is it is only 15 days a month I will be driving 80 miles a day (1,200/month, 14,400/year)
Not a bad price. I am adding up mileage for you based on using the truck every day, and not just for work. I figured since it is newer then you’re older ride and you will be driving this a lot so the mileage will add up really fast. It always adds up fast as you will see. I keep saying I will only drive one of my vehicles 2-3 days a week. later on I see that I added 9,000 miles without realizing how many times I drove it and how far I went……lol

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
"It always adds up fast as you will see"

Yep you are right! As long as it is in good working order I'll probably put many more miles than anticipated on it...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Search mileage or odometer threads there are guys here with half a million miles on the 2.3 I have over 200,000 IM guessing since the odometer broke at 160,000 but that was yeaaaars ago. When 2 owners prior owned it. As in my father in law got it broken from his brother. So yea probably closer to 250,000 lol runs like a champ

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine has 324k on a 1996 its still going strong has been well taken care of still has great compression no significant signs of wear

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I used to drive a Ranger with one of those engines at work. Last time I checked, it had over 256k miles and still ran like it was brand new. It was poorly maintained and beaten on its entire life too. I probably would've bought one for myself if Ford offered it in 4wd.

Search mileage or odometer threads there are guys here with half a million miles on the 2.3 I have over 200,000 IM guessing since the odometer broke at 160,000 but that was yeaaaars ago. When 2 owners prior owned it. As in my father in law got it broken from his brother. So yea probably closer to 250,000 lol runs like a champ
Mine has 324k on a 1996 its still going strong has been well taken care of still has great compression no significant signs of wear
You guys have the Lima 2.3, which is a completely differnet engine from the Duratec. Not trying to be rude or anything, but your experiences are not really relevant at all.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This is the new 2.3...140 HP...better than the Lima...haven't heard too many things bad about them...but you might want to read the 4 banger 2000 and Newer thread a bit to see if there is anything to watch out for...

Other than the engine being a totally different animal it's still a Ranger...fairly reliable...look for rust...crawl under and have a look at the frame...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
This is the new 2.3...140 HP...better than the Lima...haven't heard too many things bad about them...but you might want to read the 4 banger 2000 and Newer thread a bit to see if there is anything to watch out for...

Other than the engine being a totally different animal it's still a Ranger...fairly reliable...look for rust...crawl under and have a look at the frame...
Precisely, I was referring to the good lineage. I haven't heard of any horror stories and that's why I said search those other threads you'll find guys with the duratech they have true high mileage as well.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How many miles does yours have on the odo? Been pretty reliable?
Mine has 77k on it. no problems. its definately reliable, and I get around 27 mpg normal driving (not babying it, but not hotrodding it).

I bought mine for 5200. I wouldn't pay more than around 4200-4300 for one with 140k on it.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Precisely, I was referring to the good lineage. I haven't heard of any horror stories and that's why I said search those other threads you'll find guys with the duratech they have true high mileage as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2.3 lima and the 2.3 duratec share nothing at all besides having the same displacement? So there is essentially no lineage? haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals