• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger 4x4. aka the rattlin ranger Build.. pic heavy

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
89 ranger 4x4. Build lots of pics (edit)

I don't have any pics really from when I bought it but as stated its an 89 4x4 2.9 5speed. When I bought it the lil 235/75/15 were bald so it got some used 31x10.50 buckshots rubbed a lil but not bad. The old 180k mile 2.9 has seen better days. It didn't run to good the day I got it so I thought a good tune up might help. Wrong, after new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and filters. Not to big of a change. To make the story short 180k miles 2.9 low oil pressure bad valve noise. If you have had a 2.9 you know where im going.... :icon_bounceblue:

So lets get on to the new I got a parts truck for $300 that had a lift 6inch or so spare dana 35 to. So I thought I got an ok deal then come to find out it has a manual 1354, stainless JBA headers and a fabtech in bed spare tire mount! After I pulled all I wanted and scrapped the rest it cost me $17 :icon_hornsup:. I scored a deal on some 35s and not long after I cut one of the 31s.... time for the 35s with no lift !!! yes it works.. kinda. just takes some trimming.
before

after

Im going to use the trimmed part and part of another fender to make a "factory looking" wider fender opening.

that will be a later update as I don't have the other fenders just yet. Know we are kinda up to date of... TIME TO LIFT IT and swap in the dana 35. I have the just about normal lift brackets but I did score some leaf packs off the parts truck ride rough though. Im going to build longer radius arms from the stock arms plus 2x2 .250 wall tube and a large flex-joint. PICS...

why not toss in a weld pic

and back on its own weight

I do still have to make a new trans x-member and finish up the brakes and lil things. I did however come across something on the 35swap. That I didn't see in the Tech. The 35 is wider and has a different drag-link/tie rods the old 28 stuff caused a bad toe in had me :icon_confused: for a minute. but all is good now. Stay tuned for the 4.0 swap coming soon and the fenders being done.

Last edited:

jhammel85

It looks good! It's too bad about the 2.9. Bad Oil Pressure isn't good in any motor!

It's probably good that you are putting in a 4.0..It'll help those tires move (compared to the 2.9)

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good got a good start to the ol girl

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I ran into a problem with my trans x-member I need a way to mount it inside the frame rails. But getting the cross member in place with the trans mount still on is kinda a issue. I have an idea of something that might work. Guess I will try it tomorrow.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lil update of not very much just finishing up going through the front axle I got a little paint happy cleaned and painted a few things and going to fix the foggy wet head lights.

Got all new bearings should be rollin good now.

Im going to be cheap for now and save for the jeep hubs and a lockright so I cleaned up the old auto hubs

and after

last the headlight lens cleaning and reseal I haven't buffed the lens yet.

oh and can't forget the helper!

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what did you use to cut your fenders? it looks way cleaner then mine did with a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel. did you have any rubbing with the 35s before the lift?

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what did you use to cut your fenders? it looks way cleaner then mine did with a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel. did you have any rubbing with the 35s before the lift?
Ya I just used a grinder trick is to cut shallow and have some sort of line to use as a guide. Yes they rubbed on the frame and the inner fender pinch weld.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldnt have lifted it any and just cut more outta the fenders. looks sick though

the next ranger i do is gonna be a 97 ttb with a dana 50 on 40"s with a 2" body lift and possibly a cut and turn. my last one fit 37s with a 2" body lift :D

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool ill do that, my sawzall left it hacked up. i took a bfh to the pinched seam to lay them over against the body so it dont rub there anymore.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Looks good man. I like the original fender cuts myself. Making me think twice about fixing te rear rust above the wheels on mine. Might just trim it all out like that. Keep us posted.
Stephen

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the second pic the fender trimming looks factory, very nice work second gens always look great lifted. Keep up the good work!

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well over the weekend I got a little more done. Got sidetracked sat helping a buddy with his 72 mach1 putting a 460 in it. I got everything back on and kinda in place. The front needs to come up about an inch to get the camber back in spec. I guess I need to go get some 6inch XJ springs like I did on my old ranger. Here are a few more pics of some bored paint work and the truck sitting back on all fours.

I thought the hubs would look cool matched to the truck I am going to mask off the green and outline them in black to really make it pop out.

got the headlights buffed out they look ok but I think I want to get some of the " crystal clear" lens lights from ebay or something also smoked the marker lights

I see what my next project will be.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to add I also built a sheet metal bending brake. I hope that it will be strong enough to bend the steel for the front bumper idea I have in mind.
its not completely done going to make a hitch mount and I need to weld on some bolts for the angle piece as a hold down and handles to bend with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals