• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaking ypipe - manifold passenger side

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Been living with it for over a year and a half. Leak keeps getting worse and exhaust sounding horrible on the passenger side. Put on a new ypipe assembly and can not get the passenger side of the ypipe to mate up to the manifold correctly. The assembly with cats are good brand name from RockAuto but can't remember it doggone it. We tried everything from taking the other 2 ends loose and tightening that end to putting it in a vise, heating it and shaping it better. It leaks no matter what. In the days of asbestos donut gaskets, I never had an exhaust leak. I talked to the best exhaust man in town and he wants me to wait and leave it overnight when the next morning is very cold so he can push it in and raise it up to mess with it. He says if nothing else, he will fabricate a new mount and weld onto the ypipe.

Has anyone else here ever had such problems mating up the ypipe to the manifolds ???

TIA

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, I have. Usually on the 5.4s we would have issues getting new manifolds to seal to an old Y pipe. The fix was to get it in as far as you could, and still be able to reach the cup, then cover both ends in copper RTV, and once the bolts got snug start to tighten one turn at a time. Then run it until it is hot and re-torque.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Thanks. Does the idea of trying to fix it while it is ice cold make sense ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like to put it all together cold, since it makes the parts much easier to handle and get into position. I do that, let the RTV set up for about 20 minutes, and then I'll run it for a few minutes, re-torque the bolts since things expand when hot, and the exhaust gets hot quick, then I drive it like 2 miles, and re-torque again. It helps shape the cup to the ball a bit, and keeps things from working loose.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Thanks again.

Fu825d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Following.. I have a similar situation with my 99 ranger,. Is there a gasket that goes between the y pipe and the manifold, on these years? Or is it just bare metal to metal flange and cup? Can't seem to find any information on this.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Following.. I have a similar situation with my 99 ranger,. Is there a gasket that goes between the y pipe and the manifold, on these years? Or is it just bare metal to metal flange and cup? Can't seem to find any information on this.
My 4.0 SOHC was metal on metal where the catalytic converter bolts to the manifold. There is a gasket on the flange where the left and right side bolt together. Now, the replacement catalytic converter I installed required a crush-able metal donut seal on the manifold side.

I'm guessing the other V6 engines would be setup similarly. The only other Ranger I've had was a four banger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals