• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Motor Mounts that work...

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
302 Motor Mounts that work, & BS...

Info: 85 4X4 reg cab, converted 2wd prerunner, 347 Stroker, C4 Trans 157th, 6+ equal length Threat beams Billet D44 ends, Fully fab'ed diamond 9" housing, full cage, King 16", ect...

I thought I had this stage of my build figured out, and had planed on using L&L motor mounts and headers. With all of my research over the years of this build they sounded to fit the best for my application. One exception of mounts that aren't available anymore (forget the name, *kaufmann was it*) but doesn't matter as they went out of business. Now, I hear that L&L mounts are weak and prone to cracking/breaking, doesn't leave me with much confidence.

I do not want solid mount, but rubber/poly for flex. Auto-fab & Duff, sound like they make it sit to high and fit horribly. Mustang convertible mounts are not complete, I still have to figure placement and have to fab the top plates.

Is there any else that are truly bolt on and complete, "that fit good" ?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was to do it again or if I pull my motor out I will use V6 mounts with adaptor plates. I am not crazy about how low the engine sits and how hard it is to keep the convert mounts from shifting around.

But I don’t have a 347... they might not hold depending on what you are doing.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
If I was to do it again or if I pull my motor out I will use V6 mounts with adaptor plates. I am not crazy about how low the engine sits and how hard it is to keep the convert mounts from shifting around.

But I don’t have a 347... they might not hold depending on what you are doing.

They need to be beefy for my intended use, stock ones look way to weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBNpQTV9jU

I don't see anyone breaking these James Duff mounts.
These fit nice after I put them where I wanted.
Those Duff mounts look like a new style, the old ones looked different. What is the thickness .120 , .250 wall? And yet, from the sound of your vid they still needed slight modification/adjusting?

Also, didn't see posted in a vid, how do those Advanced Adapter headers fit, I have heard terrible things on those.

I am leaning towards:

Hooker Headers 9401-1HKR , Over the frame rail , fenderwell style

Patriot Clippster Headers H8433-1

Patriot Full-Length Headers H8426

L&L 797304

Last edited:

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
@85_Ranger4X4, Looking back, with mine being converted to 2wd now (C4,157th), would you have a safe bet the Patriot Full-Length Headers H8426 would fit great now?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@85_Ranger4X4, Looking back, with mine being converted to 2wd now (C4,157th), would you have a safe bet the Patriot Full-Length Headers H8426 would fit great now?
Baddad ran tri y's on his '89 and loved them.

They would be the route I would take if I was to build a 2wd, I have Hedman 88400 shorties on my 4x4.

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
Baddad ran tri y's on his '89 and loved them.

They would be the route I would take if I was to build a 2wd, I have Hedman 88400 shorties on my 4x4.
Looking at some pics, those 88400 look very close on the passenger side, especially without a body lift and a frame notch ?

This one particular

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
The Duff mounts look like 120 wall to me. I didnt have modify them in anyway to use them. Only thing I did was not follow the directions for where they wanted you to drill the crossmember for the mounting stud. Im using a efi intake and the position they want the mounts would make the upper hit the firewall I think, with a carb intake there would be no issue.

The headers fit like a glove. The passenger side might need a small notch in top of frame rail if a small bend in the exhaust pipe doesnt make the clearance I need

prymetime1

Reaction score
I used a set of mounts from Broncograveyard. They are two peice and worked with my advanced adaptor plates. I have a 347 In my 94 2wd xcab with the patriot try ys and every thing clears pretty good. C4 with the 157 tooth. I did have to notch my frame alil but both sides come off with no issues with the trans in. I don't have pics on my new cell but u can check my build thread, it's towards the end since it's our of my later mods.
Be well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
The Duff mounts look like 120 wall to me. I didnt have modify them in anyway to use them. Only thing I did was not follow the directions for where they wanted you to drill the crossmember for the mounting stud. Im using a efi intake and the position they want the mounts would make the upper hit the firewall I think, with a carb intake there would be no issue.

The headers fit like a glove. The passenger side might need a small notch in top of frame rail if a small bend in the exhaust pipe doesnt make the clearance I need
Well, I ordered the Duff mounts, they seem to be the most heavy duty available. I plan on using a low height intake and a Holley sniper EFI carb. I don't have the motor yet, so I probably shouldn't drill or install them until I can test fit.

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
I used a set of mounts from Broncograveyard. They are two peice and worked with my advanced adaptor plates. I have a 347 In my 94 2wd xcab with the patriot try ys and every thing clears pretty good. C4 with the 157 tooth. I did have to notch my frame alil but both sides come off with no issues with the trans in. I don't have pics on my new cell but u can check my build thread, it's towards the end since it's our of my later mods.
Be well.

We're they the full length or shorty's ? Any pics?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8426/overview/

Baja Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FURD
Engine Size
302, C4, Fab 9"
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, those are what I used. Pretty good clearance. Just be advised that the coating doesn't last too long.

Great thank you, I may get the ceramic coated ones for only $150+ more. I have already blown past my budget on this build, so whats a little more...

prymetime1

Reaction score
Great thank you, I may get the ceramic coated ones for only $150+ more. I have already blown past my budget on this build, so whats a little more...
I think that is a good idea, if I were to redo it, I'd order them coated as well. My budget went out the window quick too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals