• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger GT Specifications, Information and History

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys... This is probably a shot in the dark. BUT! i have been doing alot of research on this forum trying to find as much possible information on the GT's

As we all know there aint much information available on the GT Package. I sent off a request to Ford looking for information in regards to Production Numbers for 86 to 89. Even Options listed for each model year. Im just waiting to hear back from them now. I just got a build sheet for my truck from ford canada so im hoping Ford still has some information buried somewhere.

Shorangerbird, I have searched almost everyone of your posts related to "ranger gt" . I have found alot of information from you by searching your posts which is great.

Never knew they were offered with different Rear Final drives.

LongbedGTs, I think you use to have a site up with information mostly on the 88 model.

I want to get a sticky going, or even a small site dedicated with as much information on these trucks as possible.

Color options and names.
interior Options
Swaybar sizes
final drive ratios
what type of goodyear tire, etc, etc.

the gritty stuff. almost every detail.

If its possible to pick some enthusiasts brains on your knowledge of these trucks and combine it together. Help others understand and learn about this rare option and instead of searching the forums for hours (which I have done) to find very little information on these trucks.

If you would rather PM Me with as much information as you can instead of posting it that would be great. I already have a information/specifaction sheet started.

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciate it!

Matt.

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
-jasons site is pretty well complete other than some minor things. yes, his doesnt have much on the '89s but a simple scan of an original brochure will tell you pretty much all you need.
-89s were availiable with tu-tone paint.
-gear ratios were normally determined by the bed length. 3:73s for the short, 3:45s for the long. there were no ratio options. only trac-loc or not.
-no dual tank option
-there were no different sway bar sizes. one size fit all, but they were a standard feature on GTs, F & R, not on every model.
-tires for both years were just like you see on my blue '89 GT. General XP 2000. solid letters in '88. owl in '89

there were very few options you could do in either year. '89 had a couple more, but its minor trim things. exact production numbers will never really be known, unless someone at the warehouse where they were converted had a log of some kind and its made known. the GT was a PACKAGE, not a model. only figures for models are supposedly kept. and then you have a sub-pkg of STX of which it was a part, so i dont ever see it being factual. maybe someone who was there will come forward someday with something. till then, its just speculation. .....

Last edited:

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
His site was helpful for the one time I was on it. I cant remember everything he had up there. The site is no longer available which is kind of a bummer.

Ford emailed me back, they gave me all the production numbers for the 89, 88 and 86 model years but unfortunately it was for all ranger models. 4x2 and 4x4. I sent them back another reply in hope that they can dig up a bit more information.

Ill keep you guys posted. If anything is of interest I can copy/paste the information they have sent me.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont know how accurate the Gear Ratios are determined by Bed Length. According to the VIN on my truck it has 3.73. Unless it was ordered with the 3.73 as a option over the 3.45?

I have a few brochures, a Accessory catolog and a original SHO ranger advertisement on its way, should be here in a couple of weeks.

rangergt89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My GT is long-bed & it's got F6 code on door plate.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
looked at that truck again and remembered the wheels. Is that yours Shorangerbird? lol

F6 code on the door plate?

rangergt89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry door sticker

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
were those enkei wheels 16s? Pretty much the same wheel that came on the SHO. Also looks like a old Trans AM wheel.

So production numbers from Ford on the GT and even the STX Trim is not obtainable. I spoke with 3 different reps from the resources departments and they all tell me Production numbers are based only on the body styles sold. Not by options or different trim packages. Which sucks but that makes perfect sense where there are sooooo many different option variations per vehicle, that the documentation would be so vast for every single vehicle they sold since 1946.

However...just because ford cant give me the answers doesnt mean Ill stop there! There are a few old time Ford salesmen and employees here at a local ford dealership that I use to work at that have some good ford history. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Im pieceing together as much information I can from articles, pictures, forums, google. etc etc. I Thank those who are helping me out! I am currently writing an article on the GT from when it debuted in 86 with as much facts and information in hopes to have one complete source for the information on the GT.

I have information from Ford where people can order new build sheets for the trucks as well. I will post that up shortly.

Matthew

Last edited:

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To Obtain a new Build sheet from Ford.

There are a few different types of build sheets. Unfortunately you have to pay for them....

Basic is $17.00 US
Deluxe is $46.00 US ( deluxe seems to have production figures?)

www.shopfordgear.com All you need is the full VIN for your rig and a way to pay them! And to wait up to 6 to 8 weeks...

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
were those enkei wheels 16s? Pretty much the same wheel that came on the SHO. Also looks like a old Trans AM wheel.

So production numbers from Ford on the GT and even the STX Trim is not obtainable. I spoke with 3 different reps from the resources departments and they all tell me Production numbers are based only on the body styles sold. Not by options or different trim packages. Which sucks but that makes perfect sense where there are sooooo many different option variations per vehicle, that the documentation would be so vast for every single vehicle they sold since 1946.

However...just because ford cant give me the answers doesnt mean Ill stop there! There are a few old time Ford salesmen and employees here at a local ford dealership that I use to work at that have some good ford history. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Im pieceing together as much information I can from articles, pictures, forums, google. etc etc. I Thank those who are helping me out! I am currently writing an article on the GT from when it debuted in 86 with as much facts and information in hopes to have one complete source for the information on the GT.

I have information from Ford where people can order new build sheets for the trucks as well. I will post that up shortly.

Matthew

they were Enkeis. p.o. put them on there. sold them on another truck 2-3 years ago. truck currently has mustang bullitt wheels on it. correct on the figures. if it was a VIN code as with the old muscle cars, it would be simple. but the mass production is to great these days. i've been with Ford for almost 20 years now. if there was a way to know, i hope i would have found it by now. EVERY GT ive owned (thats about 8 or 9 i guess) whether parts truck or running, lwb - 3:45, swb - 3:73 never been any deviation. only trac loc......

Last edited:

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmm.. interesting on the final drive ratios. Maybe the long box had a option for the 3.73 with the trac loc? Maybe it was a Canadian only thing that came with 3.73? I was looking at purchasing a Dealer album sheet for the model year 89 but im not too sure what kind of information is on those album sheets. There are currently a few on ebay forsale.

I did contact one seller who has a album book that covers alot of ford models and he said it does have information in it on the STX and GT package. it didnt specify any details tho.....

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmm.. interesting on the final drive ratios. Maybe the long box had a option for the 3.73 with the trac loc? Maybe it was a Canadian only thing that came with 3.73? I was looking at purchasing a Dealer album sheet for the model year 89 but im not too sure what kind of information is on those album sheets. There are currently a few on ebay forsale.

I did contact one seller who has a album book that covers alot of ford models and he said it does have information in it on the STX and GT package. it didnt specify any details tho.....
-ive got both also. guess i need to find them and pull them out...

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that site is long gone. It was just my own gatherings though...and not any "official" information. AFAIK, automatic trans came with 4.10 LSD and manuals had 3.73 open or 3.45. Ive never had a GT with 3.45 but have had several with 3.73 open. My GT has a 4.10 LS but of course I converted it to a manual trans several years ago after the A4LD lost overdrive.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals