• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Exhaust Question?

rangermx25

Reaction score
The past 6months ive had the flowmaster 40 series on my 99 ranger. Well there just not loud enough. So today i put on a glasspack and they sound good. It seems like a bunch of people say there a lot louder but mine dont seem that much louder does it just take a little bit for them to break in of what? Ive only had em on for like 5 hours and driven w/ him at most 1.5 hours. wat do u guys that have glasspacks think?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
As far as "performance" mufflers like the flowmaster 40 and "glasspacks" go, I think they are fairly similar as far as volume goes. The magnaflow glasspack on my Ranger sounds exactly the same 3 months and 1800 miles later as it did when it had just been welded up.

My opinion, and I could be wrong, is that glasspacks have ONE advantage, increased flow vs. a flowmaster 40. The 40's flow really well, but theres bends in the tubing inside the muffler itself, whereas a glasspack is essentially just a slightly larger diameter pipe with material packed around the inside pipe wall, a straight pipe like a glasspack *should* outflow a muffler like the 40.

Keep in mind this is based solely on my opinion and information/knowledge gained through casual conversation with a muffler shop owner, I could be entirely wrong.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glasspacks don't last. Once they get burned out, which can take one month or 3 months, they will get louder, usually A LOT LOUDER. Highway driving burns them out faster due to the flow and heat.. If you want loud, you should get it. Mine were on a Chevelle with a 400hp 327 so it had more air flowing, so your time to burn out will very...good luck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had 2 (true duals) in my F-150 since about the first of August, so far there hasn't been a huge change in sound. I do notice it gets louder the longer I drive it but it seems to be heat related, and not related to the age of the glasspacks. I wonder if catylitic converters extend their lifespan??

I had one in my Ranger for about 2 years, it saw little highway time and still sounded about the same when I took it off. The pipe was shot, and I was sick of the V-6 drone so I put in a much quieter exhaust that was in better shape.

The glasspacks in both trucks were Thrush Magnum Glasspacks.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I have noticed that the sound changes slightly and it increases in volume a little once everything warms up. Otherwise its exactly the same as it was when it was installed.

fenton mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Take it from me i bought a thrush glasspack on the first day i had my truck and it has gotten louder and better as time goes on. They are legal as well as non-restrictive, and the feedback you get with one in a manual when you left fully off the gas sounds wicked people always turn to see what is coming when they hear that.

fenton mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want to "break it in", get that thing as hot as you can, and hit it with ice cold water, that will cause the packing to break much quicker than normal driving.

b_aldredeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive got the flowmaster on mine and its pretty loud ive got headers too that might be the difference also the bigger the pipe the louder it is 4.0 rangers you can go to 2 1/2 pipe any bigger your going to lose back pressure

Last edited:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta make sure you keep you back pressure up to snuff or 1. you loose torque/hp 2. you'll burn up you exhaust valves. You don't want you exhaust too free-flowing.

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
Even with the bigger pipe, there is already plenty of backpressure. Heck, headers give you enough backpressure for anything you need to do.

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On a 92 5.0 FS bronco, I had stock manifolds, 18" of pipe, 28" cherry bomb glasspacks, and turnouts in front of the rear wheels. It took about a week of driving to work for the glasspacks to get burned out, Didn't notice much of a difference in sound, (F*N loud) but it was a little more rappy than they were when new.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Even with the bigger pipe, there is already plenty of backpressure. Heck, headers give you enough backpressure for anything you need to do.
Gotta make sure you keep you back pressure up to snuff or 1. you loose torque/hp 2. you'll burn up you exhaust valves. You don't want you exhaust too free-flowing.
You guys don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. shady

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I call B.S. on this one, I removed my muffler over a year ago, it's got as much power then as it does now and i haven't burnt any valves.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you don't maintain the proper exhaust gas velocity is when you loose power/torque. Backpressure is not a good thing in an exhaust system.

As long as you have a manifold/header of some sort and a couple feet of pipe behind it, cold air should never touch the valves before the engine is cooled enough for it not to matter. I haven't heard of anyone burning valves with an exhaust of any sort on their truck.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you don't maintain the proper exhaust gas velocity is when you loose power/torque. Backpressure is not a good thing in an exhaust system.

As long as you have a manifold/header of some sort and a couple feet of pipe behind it, cold air should never touch the valves before the engine is cooled enough for it not to matter. I haven't heard of anyone burning valves with an exhaust of any sort on their truck.
Cool air does not hurt exhaust valves. They intake charge is always cool in comparison to the combustion temps. Extreme heat is what causes valve damage(and pistons). shady

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals