• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

$396.80 to Change Plugs and Wires!!!

SMB2500

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good thing I was sitting down when the local Ford dealer told me what it would cost in parts and labor to replace the 8 plugs and wires in my 2000 four-banger!!

Just got this truck a few weeks ago. It seems great, but I have a feeling it's running on original wires and plugs. I've done enough searching through this site to know it's not an easy job. But $396.80 worth???!!!

I'll give it my best shot to do myself. (My back no longer allows me to get into places I used to.) If I can't do it, it will be the very first vehicle I've ever owned in my 60 years that I haven't been able to change the plugs on!! Seems, from what I've read, is underneath the truck is the best way to go for those two rear plugs on the driver side.

Anyway... I suppose my post here can serve as a notice to other Ranger/B2500 newbies who call a dealer for a quote on a plug/wire change.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
It's really not that bad. It just takes some time. I've done mine several times in my 96 and once in the 95. Just take a break if you find yourself frustrated. Worse case, get an intake gasket set and pull the upper off half off.

James

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lol. I cant believe you actually went to the dealership for that.

bad back or no. I'd have just found a shop where I can supply parts and they just do the work.

as for those two plugs. I just take the upper half of the intake off, that's all.

takes me 4 minutes to get it off and another 10 and 2 beers to get it back on.

mrcarcrazy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep looking. that's outrageous. It took me 1.5hrs to do it my first time, and that includes me slicing my finger open, and the time it took to find superglue and glue the skin closed so I could finish my work. :D

So goto a small shop and have it done. the back plugs on the intake side are the problem makers...but with a wobble and a cpl extensions make it no problem...esp if your current wires still have the hooks on them that allow you to remove them with ease (Mine did not...and the boots ripped into more than a few pieces).

SMB2500

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh... I didn't go to the dealership. I called them. I knew they would be higher than an independent, but nowhere near that high! I was hoping they would have more experience with that configuration, and might (silly me!) be reasonable. I never even came close to making an appointment! I will muddle through. "Taking a break" from the task is good advice. I often "find the way" when I come back from a break in the action.

racer190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I had my '98 it took me 45 minutes to do plugs and wires. For the drivers side that are behind the intake just get a few extentions and swivels to get the plug loose and remove it. And then all you need to do is get a piece of rubber hose and put it over the end of the plug to get the plug started. This is all accomplished by going through the opening in one of the intake runners. I dont care what anybody says, but it is not necessary to pull the upper half of the intake off. Good luck.:D

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
It's really not that bad. It just takes some time. I've done mine several times in my 96 and once in the 95. Just take a break if you find yourself frustrated. Worse case, get an intake gasket set and pull the upper off half off.

James
thats the way i change them on my minivan. I pull the upper plenum. the gasket costs like $3.99...... takes 4 hours to do mine though.......... Last time it only took 3 hours because I replaced the bolts on the EGR valve (for the EGR tube) with studs the first time I changed the plugs.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
But $396.80 worth???!!!
Have sockets, will travel...

I would do it for you for $100 and a case of Canadian beer...and I'd even share the beer with you when I'm done the plugs and wires...:)

SMB2500

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A case of Canadian and a case of Dos Equis for me. You do the job for $100, and I'll "supervise". :icon_cheers:

I'm going to do the job Saturday morning, when I have a block of time available. I'll post the "results" when the job is done! One result I know will not happen is the dealer getting $400 from me!

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I did what Racer190 did. It took me about and hour or so but that was 50K miles ago.

Take your time, don't throw tools as they can be hard to find.:sad:

Swivels are the key. Or take the intake off.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
A case of Canadian and a case of Dos Equis for me. You do the job for $100, and I'll "supervise". :icon_cheers:

I'm going to do the job Saturday morning, when I have a block of time available. I'll post the "results" when the job is done! One result I know will not happen is the dealer getting $400 from me!
Deal~!

Haven't tried the Dos Equis, but I just saw one of the commercials...it actually showed (sharp inhale) a man holding, yes, holding a cigar...and a few babes, of course...

I think I like that beer company...they know that good things go together...oh, and I also liked the babes...

SMB2500

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

Haven't done the plugs yet. The truck is running good and I've been busy with other projects. BUT....

I did change the oil and filter the other day, and while under the truck, what did I see, in plain and glorious view right above the area now vacated by the oil filter? That's right, the mysterious and elusive back two plugs on the driver's side!! Looks like the way to go for me!

Question: Possibly a stupid one, but here goes. Can I remove the filter without a "major" loss of oil, should I decide to go at those plugs while not doing an oil change at the same time?

Mark... try the Dos Equis! You won't be disappointed!

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oil will slowly drain back from the top of the engine, It will drip for a LONG time after removing the filter. It is only a small amount though.
My shop would do that job for less than half what the dealer quoted you but, you have to take into concideration the cost of the parts. The factory wires and double platinum plugs are expensive. They still charged too much for labor though.
My shop recently did an oil change for $250!!! The usual oil change is a mere $22. This one was on a diesel using Royal purple and a k&n oil filter.

Cacher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
~Never~

I have been changing mine for years, and years, on all my I-4's. All you need is a good plug boot puller-like my long Mac tools one-various lengths of 3/8 rachet extension(s), and a wobble plug socket. With these tools alone you can change every plug, without removing any parts to do the change, other than the plug boots, and the plastic air intake line. One hour later that $300.00+ is mine for my Ranger. The dealer robs enough people.

P.S. and those plastic door clips, springs, trim attachers the dealer charges 7.50 a piece for.....? About .65 cents here thecliphouse.com where I live.

Last edited:

djc4475

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but yeah it can easily be done with some patience and a couple o beers! Just pick a day when you can you can take your time and not be in a rush to finish. I find that if there is no deadline, then any job is easier beacaue you are not rushing and making mistakes. Good Luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals