• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changing spark plugs in 89 ranger 2.3 with 8 plugs

lil' mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I need to change my plugs,I have never did this,haven't needed to.I got the truck with 40,000 miles and it now has 107,000 after 5 years. I was told that I had to do something else,that I could not just change plugs and go on.Something like reset "timing" I do not know, my friend told me this.I have read other post on other pages/forums that people asking what to do because after changing plugs their number 3 cylinder was not firing correctly.This is one
instance I was reading. So is there something else that has to be done when changing plugs. I believe this will be the first time since it was new!It runs OK,just starting to feel like it needs new plugs. Thanks to who responds!

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ive never heard that bfor and if thats the case i wouldve noticed some kind of idle problem. but i hadnt yet. by the way have fun with the very last one in the back on the drivers side. its a total sob.

Jonboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get a 2ft. 3/8" drive extention, a 3/8" drive swivel, 5/8" plug socket for 3/8 drive and a 3/8" drive ratchet. Done this several times it only takes me 15 mins.

CMLJESSE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are these sizes of extensions, drive swivels, sockets, & ratchets universal for Rangers? In other words, is that what I use to change plugs in a 2000 2.5L?

lil' mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I seen that it will be tough to get at the last 2 on driver side

Get a 2ft. 3/8" drive extention, a 3/8" drive swivel, 5/8" plug socket for 3/8 drive and a 3/8" drive ratchet. Done this several times it only takes me 15 mins.
I have all those extensions and swivel, I already figured that in,thanks ! My main concern was that I did not have to mess with any chip or something inside of the 2 distributors or reset the timing. My friend told me to just take the pos battery cable off and put it back on and that would reset the timing.i never heard of such, have you?I did read on a sticker under the hood about re-setting timing.It said:
1 turn off eng
2 disconnect the in-line spout connector
3 re-start previously warmed eng
4 adjust ignition timing to 10 deg BTDC
5 turn off eng and restore electrical connection
This has nothing to do with changing plugs,this is if your out of time and need to re-set.
So you are saying that I can just put the plugs in and not have to do anything
else because I changed plugs,you have did this in a ranger,correct?

Thanks Lil' Mark

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You dont have to touch ur timing. I have changed mine only thing that happen was that it ran better cause no one every changed the plugs. i was the first at 148,000. And for the positive battery cable re-setting timing thing. that wont re-set ur timing.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Just change the plugs. No need to disconnect the battery or dick with resetting anything. If the plug wires are original or look beat, wouldn't be a bad idea to put a new, good-brand set of stock wires on it, especially since you're likely going to stress the old ones getting them off. Just take your time, keep your cool when something doesn't go right, and don't cross-thread any putting them in. Good luck; you'll do fine.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the plug wires are original or look beat, wouldn't be a bad idea to put a new, good-brand set of stock wires on it...
Yeah...change the wires too. Very good idea!
And take er slow, enjoy a beer or two while ya do the whole process.

T.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget to swap out the 4 afterburners too. The better the exhaust smells to the o2 sensors, the less CE lights come on.

Changing wires was one of the best things I did to my engine, after 240,000 rolled over. Better response, and mileage, with all the power now making it to the plugs. Bought the Accel set, couldn't be happier.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget to put anti-sieze on the new plugs. You'll thank yourself the next time you change them.

radranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
spark plugs

make sure u get ur spark plugs from ford they should be mototcraft,if u use a different brand after u have 70,000mi on your ranger will burn them out so quickly,why i am not sure but the people at the auto store told me as did my own personal mechanic..

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
make sure u get ur spark plugs from ford they should be mototcraft,if u use a different brand after u have 70,000mi on your ranger will burn them out so quickly,why i am not sure but the people at the auto store told me as did my own personal mechanic..

Autolites work good also. Some people say the double platinum plugs are worth the extra cost, some say no. I use them for the longer wear.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Despite the opposition here to them, I really have good luck and long distance with Bosch Platinums. While Autolites are OEM, they aren't the end-all or necessarily the best for your truck.

debogus

Reaction score
Beauklahoma,peoples republic of Kommiefornia
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agree with Army

topic starter >>>50 thousand miles on a set of plugs?

Plugs are so much cheaper than the cat ,that the worn out plugs WILL burn up. ( or the posible head rebuild)
Which leads to no power, high exaust back preasure , burned exaust valve ,not passing smog , guess how I know this one.:icon_idea:

Which in other parts of the country isnt that big of a deal , but here means no tags.

jubangy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With 107k on the clock wouldn't it be a good idea to change the timing belt also?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals