• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil In Coolant

drmayf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Happy life? Happy wife!
Truck is 1997, 3.0L naturally, Splash version, manual trans. Won truck at Football game is '97, new. Less than 84000 miles. Found a spot under the truck in the driveway about where the lower hose is located on rad. Hose was dry to the touch, dusty even. Next day, fired it up and let it come to temp and found that it was weeping from the driver side plastic rad tank. Bulged out and the ribs on it broken. Purchased new radiator along with a water pump and thermostat. Then went at it: drained the rad and coolant was dark but still green. some spilled on driveway and next day it looks oily. Pulled the upper hose from the radiator and YIKES, actual oil in the hose! I am guessing that the radiator was broken because it was being over pressurized by faulty head gasket or some such and therein is my problem. If the rad is a closed system then how does the oil get in and where is it likely to be coming from> Have checked driver's side plugs and they look perfect for age. Nice brown tan color and all. No water nor oil, just great. Pulled dip stick, no water in oil in pan, ie no milkshake syndrome. I will take a look at the P side plugs as soon as I can get back to it, but what else should I be looking for? I am puzzled as to how oil of the quantity got into the radiator. And from how and what caused it.

Any thoughts, comments, or education for me?
ok to pm me if you have a solution for me. Or in making me smarter which is easy...

drmayf

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would either glove test it, or get an actual combustion tester and test it. You might have a head or gasket issue.

However that usually results only in coolant in the oil, not the other way around. It's a gravity thing.

The 3.0 has an issue where the timing cover gasket fails and allows mixing where the coolant passages to and from the water pump return to the block, through the front cover. This is probably where your problem is.

drmayf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Happy life? Happy wife!
Thank you, I had not even considered that. And my son had an explorer that had a timing cover gasket issue, just no coolant involved on it though. Again, many thanks for a possible new lead and maybe a lot less work.

drmayf

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals