• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me diagnose a misfire and a coolant leak

OnAll4s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In the summer I flushed out my coolant, replaced plugs, inline fuel filter under the bed, wires, coil, thermostat and the gasket. I unplugged the coil and cranked the motor with the radiator cap off and the fluid didn't budge at all meaning in theory there shouldn't be a head gasket problem. I unplugged each wire from the coil while the truck was on and all of them where getting spark and firing. Pulled plugs they looked fine. Checked my oil cap and dipstick and oil looks fine even for 4000 miles. There were slight water drops on the cap but nothing to warrant a gasket issue IMO. Also just checked for codes and no codes where found. I don't see any outside coolant leaks in the front. It's a 1995 3.0 4x4

My valve cover is leaking but that shouldn't have anything to do with the misfire and coolant leak. Also when the mechanics were doing my clutch last winter they couldn't connect my cats to the headers and it created a leak(maybe that has something to do with the misfire?)

After researching around on the forums I got to the conclusion that my intake gaskets might be bad or my timing cover gasket/waterpump area. It doesn't leak a lot but it still leaks. But I just want some opinions because I don't want to throw money at the car in an area where it is not needed and not fix the problem.

Edit: all the parts I replaced where motorcraft as suggested and the sparkplug number is SP-493 AGSF32PM

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Get/rent a cooling system pressure tester, about $20
It is a Rad cap with a hand pump and gauge
You can then pump COLD engine up to 20-25psi and look for the leak, also watch the gauge to see if there is a leak at all.
Small coolant leaks are hard to find since rad pressure only comes up to 14-16psi AFTER coolant is HOT, and then any small leaks can evaporate before you can see them.

Also with pressure gauge in place and at say 5psi, crank the engine(coil disconnected) see if pressure goes up, a sign of a head gasket issue

Check Overflow hose, from rad to overflow tank, these can crack and leak, but only HOT coolant, and then air is sucked back in on cool down, so double whammy :)

OnAll4s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was leaking at the upper and lower rad hoses and put in new plugs(autolites double plats) runs better

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals