• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 ford ranger 3.0 4x4

Tim_O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I am new here, so hello all.
Question I have is with 1993 ford ranger 3.0 v6 4x4 with automatic tranny what should be my rpm in overdrive at 70mph or 55mph be?
I got ahold of this ranger truck and I don't think its shifting into overdrive.

I did shift between OD and Drive and there is no difference in rpm, but it almost seems its shifting in OD. Might be just me thinking it is when I am counting the shifting and could be very well wrong.

Thank you for any help.
Tim O

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome:

Technically, we need a little more info: What axles does your truck have, what tires does it think it should have* - both are on the Federal sticker on driver's door/door frame**. With this we can give you a good estimate.

For reference, my '99 3.0 Auto with 3.55 gears, 225/70R15s runs ~2,000 in OD and 2,600 in drive @ 100 km/h (62 mph)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A 1993 Ranger 3.0l will have an A4LD automatic transmission.

It should have two electric solenoids in the trans
One locks the torque converter when you are cruising along, helps with better MPG
The other is called the 3/4 shift solenoid, so the Overdrive solenoid.

Usually there is an Over Drive Button, this button allows the computer to shift to OD when it is applicable, if OD button is OFF then computer won't shift to OD, there is usually a light on the dash indicating OD status, enabled or disabled
OFF is used when pulling loads or going up a long grade when you don't want trans to be shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th

Not familiar with 1993 specifically

A4LD is a 4 speed transmission so when you start off you are in 1st gear, you should feel it shift 3 more times if OD is working, 1st>2nd>3rd>4th, ">" 3 times

3rd gear is 1:1 ratio
4th(OD) is .75:1

If you had 3.73 rear axle with 28" tires then in 3rd your RPMs should be about 2,900 at 65mph
In 4th(OD), 2,200 rpm at 65MPH

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals