• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 transmission fluid idea

JoeOh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had to use a long plastic hose to take out some ATF out of my truck because it was a bit overfilled. I was thinking that I do need to change my ATF fluid but my truck has not had a ATF change in over 150k miles apparently. So I talked to a mechanic and he said it would be best to leave the fluid alone becuase there are so many miles on the truck (256,000 miles) and the ATF has not been changed ever since I got the truck.

So I was wanting to see if I could do a slow change of the fluid by taking 1/2 a liter out of the transmission by way of that plastic hose and do it once a week until the fluid taken out is relatively clear of cloudiness and a nice red color.

Anyone else did this? Since my truck does not have a drain plug for the tranny, this is the only way I can think of doing this.

I do want to try to see if this is ok to do because I know that oxidized ATF fluid doesn't properly lubricate the transmission as well as new fluid.

Thanx-

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Just drop the pan, change the filter, and refill it. New fluid does not kill transmissions, old crappy fluid does. The only time new fluid will hurt a transmission is if it is already slipping and almost dead. If it still works fine, then changing the fluid is the best thing you can do to maintain it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just drop the pan, change the filter, and refill it. New fluid does not kill transmissions, old crappy fluid does. The only time new fluid will hurt a transmission is if it is already slipping and almost dead. If it still works fine, then changing the fluid is the best thing you can do to maintain it.
+1

There will be some material on the bottom of the pan as well - there's a magnet for this purpose, clean that out. Definitely change the filter. I believe the A4LD in my '88 had a drain for the torque converter under the inspection dust plate if you even wanted to get more out. Be sure to follow specific instructions for this as the pan bolts can be over tightened.

Pete

JoeOh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do 6 cylinder 4.0 Liter '96 Rangers torque converters have a drain plug? I would like to get that drained too. Also if I get most of the fluid out of the TC and the main tranny would that be 4 quarts for my truck???

irishblessing

i didnt have a drain plug for my torque converter i pulled the pan drained the fluid replaced the filter and its 4 quarts to fill it back up and youll need a gasket too

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
plus adding a some LUCAS transmission treatment to it wont hurt it. put it in mine when i changed the filter and gasket and it works fine, runs smooth.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If its working fine, just drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket and top it back off.

No need for any cover up in a bottle like Lucas.

And there is no torque converted drain plug on your A4LD.

JoeOh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was told by a mechanic that if I have new 4 liters of ATF mix with whats in the torque converter it will cause shifting problems. Is this true? My tranny runs just fine, but I would like to at least have a new filter and clean out the mess on the magnet...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You will be fine. I'm a technician at a Ford dealership and have never heard of or seen a fluid change causing problems on an automatic trans that is in proper working order. Usually people are bringing them in for some miracle cure when they start shifting bad or slipping and then get pissed when it doesn't fix anything and then have them fail shortly afterward.

If the fluid doesn't smell horribly burnt and it shifts fine you will be fine dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping it back up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals