• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 Speed Manual Transmission QUICK QUESTION

Stephen BAss

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2004 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2WD
3.0 6 Cylinder 5 Speed Manual Transmission

I think I've made a bad mistake but I'm trying to fix it and hopefully not have to spend a fortune.

I went to change my oil yesterday and accidently drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil. My tranny started making noises when shifting 1-3 gears. I know I need to drain the oil because there's way to much in the dipstick but theres no tranny dipstick. Does anyone know where to fill the tranny fluid? I have 3 quarts and wanna drain the oil this time and refill the tranny fluid. PLEASE HELP ANYONE. Preferably someone with a 2004 that knows the shoes I stand in.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
reminds me of an old school mate, who drained his engine oil, and filled his radiator with oil.

You mean to tell us you drained your pink trans fluid, filled your crankcase, didn't change the crankcase filter, then drove your truck w/ the trans on empty?

look where you drained your trans. left side of trans.....look approx 6" up, and 6" towards the rear...that's your fill hole. Takes ATF btw. Fill it with ATF until fluid dribbles out the fill hole. Thats how to check trans fluid level as well.....take fill cap off and stick a finger in there to see where the level is.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well this should kinda go without saying, but do not drive your truck at all until you get this fixed. Don't even start the engine.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
About 6" up and 5" forward of the drain plug that you found on the transmission is the fill plug. You need to use Mercon ATF. You need to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole, to where it just starts dribbling out. That is approximately 2.75 quarts. A hand pump will make filling the tranmission much easier as you can't get a bottle up there.

To change the ENGINE OIL!! you need to find the drain plug on the oil pan. This will be about 2 feet forward of the drain plug you found on the transmission. It will be on the back edge.

At this point what you have done is over filled the engine, and drained the tranny. You then drove the truck with out any fluid in the transmission. You will most likely need a new transmission within the next year, depending on how far you drove it.

Exactly how far did you drive it?

The next best course of action will be to drive the truck for a short while and then change the transmission fluid again. *****PAY ATTENTION TO HOW MUCH METAL MUSH IS ON THE MAGNET ON THE DRAIN PLUG****** This will be a very good indicator of how much damage you did to your transmission.

Please post a picture of the drain plug with whatever mush you find on the drain plug. It will greatly help in assessing how much damage you did to your transmission.

rasadlx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2004 Ford Ranger Tranny Problem

Hey everyone this is Stephen Bass, for some reason the login isn't working with my old username. My idea is to drail the oil, refill the tranny fluid (checking the plug for tranny damage and put fresh oil since the old and new is now mixed. Can anyone help me pinpoint the actual plug to drain the oil? I'm not positive on it I just don't wanna drain something else and so on. Feedback's much appreciated guys, thanks!

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a manual tranny right? And it takes Mercon ATF?? Strange.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
This is a manual tranny right? And it takes Mercon ATF?? Strange.
The ZF trans in my F250 takes Mercon as do several other types of manual transmissions out there. Alot of people don't realize it and end up putting in gear oil.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Think ATF in a manual trans is strange? My 92 Honda Accord has an automatic, but if it had a manual, it would use 10w-30 motor oil.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used to have a '95 Ranger that had a 5 speed and it took atf. I think my current '08 with a 5 speed does to.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Virtually all Ranger manual Trannys use ATF.

As for the "OIL" Drain plug, there is only one place for it to be. The oil pan is directly in front of the Transmission Bellhousing (the part of the trans that bolts to the motor) on the bottom side of the motor. If I remember my model years and engines correctly, your OIL drain plug should be on the "left" side of the oil pan (Driver's Side).

Not trying to be an ass or anything, but if you still can't find it, get a friend or someone else to show you if at all possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals