• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco erratic fuel pressure

lstill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey Guys! Just bought a 1988 Bronco 4x4 2.9 5 speed. The guy that I got it from had thrown tons of money at it to stop a bogging condition that came and went and would stop it completely sometimes. Has new low pressure pump in tank,new HP pump on frame rail,fuel pressure regulator,icv valve,o2 sensor,throttle position sensor,numerous more sensors replaced and finally i have did the relocation of the TFI module and replaced with a new one(understand that's very common problem with these) . Pulled and cleaned distributor cap,rotor button.....and finally got around to checking fuel pressure today......With the vehicle idling runs around 30-32. and sometime up to 40 psi...running fine but when you run the RPMs up the fuel pressure drops and if you hold it there a while sometimes the pressure will dwindle down to almost nothing....vehicle will start stalling and then it will increase some but is erratic to say the least.Pulled obd1 codes and am getting a 96-Fuel Pump monitor circuits show no power code....doesn't the pump run on a constant 12 volts? One fuel filter in front of the HP pump has been replaced but have herd that there is a screen in the little fuel accumulator bowl that can be problematic. anyway I am new to the Bronco 2 and would appreciate all the seasoned techs input. I thought about temporarily substituting a constant 12volts supply to the HP pump and seeing if it could possibly be in the fuel Pump circuit having intermittent power...Thanks in advance....bronco 2 newbie :)

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Bump.

I am not a BII guy so I don''t know the specifics of your system; but, my best bet is a filter. You have the classic symptoms. Pressure will build up with no flow/low demand. Drop when demand for more flow increases.

Someone will be along that knows just how your's is put together.

Last edited:

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would try a new fuel pump relay. Or at least check for corroded connector at the relay. I've never had a code 96 or a bad relay, but it sounds right for the code 96 description.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals