• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II Starting Issues

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have noticed lately that my 2.9l is getting hard to start. When I first start it in the mornings it starts pretty much right away ( 3 sec crank) when I turn it off 2-3 mins later and I goto start it again, I crank sometimes 3-4 seconds at a time maybe around 5-6 times before it will start. It lacks some power going up hills ( NO SMOKING) so I changed the BOTH fuel pumps and IAC now every once in a while I get a whiff of gas. My EEC-IV gives me a clear bill of health ( NO CODES)... At idle about 90% of the time its SMOOTH! 10% of the time the idle might be a little erratic. I have been fighting this issue for some time. with NO codes, I'm kind of stuck...

Thanks!
Chaz

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turning it off after only running 2 or 3 minutes might be causing the ECT sensor to warm to fast, when you turn off the engine the water pump stops and ECT will get heat soaked from standing warm coolant, so when you go to restart it computer is no longer in Choke Mode, it thinks engine is warmer than it is.
So mix is too lean and takes longer to start.

Fuel Pressure Regulator has a vacuum hose attached, pull it off and check it for gasoline, shouldn't be any in there and no smell of gasoline.
If FPR has a small leak in diaphragm it could cause gas smell and air/fuel mix imbalance via vacuum hose.

After engine is fully warmed up and idling, unplug the 2 wires on IAC Valve
IAC Valve will close all the way and RPMs should drop to 500 or engine may even stall, either is good it means no vacuum leaks.
If idle stays high then you do have a vacuum leak.

OR......someone has messed with the anti-diesel screw on the throttle linkage thinking it was an "idle screw", fuel injection can't use an idle screw, no Jets, which is why there is an IAC Valve.
If idle stays high after unplugging IAC Valve turn the anti-diesel screw counter clockwise to see if idle starts to drop, if it does keep turning to get to 500rpm, below 600 for sure.
If idle doesn't change then turn it back to where it was, and look for the vacuum leak

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ill about bet on a failed FPR.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good Call!!!! FPR is leaking through the Vac. hose.. Would that also cause the RPM's to rev high when I first start it???

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, could be

But gas engines REV higher by adding more air, adding more fuel floods out the engine

IAC Valve should be open all the way for starting, so any fuel injected engine should REV when started, then RPMs drop down to "target idle" based on engine temp, as computer closes IAC valve
If there were some extra fuel in the engine, i.e. the vacuum line, then REV would last longer and be higher than 1,500 or so expected

Last edited:

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I first start it, the RPM's goto around 2000 - 2500 RPM and will sit there for about 3-5 mins before is starts to drop to normal. I turn on the AC to try to help bring down the RPM's..

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, something is wrong there

Open hood
Start cold engine
If RPMs are above 1,100 unplug IAC valve and see if they drop and engine stalls, it should stall if cold.
If so computer is holding open IAC Valve for some reason

But thats after fixing FPR leak, which could get that REV down to "normal" 1,500 for a few seconds then drop to 1,100 cold idle

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, Pulling the IAC cold kills the engine...

NAPA is getting me a new FPR Tuesday morning... WOO HOO!!! I hope that solves the problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals