• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ECM and wiring questions. Engine/transmission swap from 97 Explorer to 04 Ranger

rapid transit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I am just about done doing an engine swap into my 2004 4.0 Ranger (2wd automatic).

I bought a running crashed 1997 5.0 2wd Explorer for the swap.

Engine and transmission are in, driveshaft is done, fuel lines are done. A/C system is in, all power steering connected. Basically all mechanical stuff is good to go.

I swapped in the Explorer computer. I also used the Explorer engine and transmission harness. Nothing is cut or hacked...all intact.

I know some wiring has to be switched around, but I am not sure what. I have not powered anything up yet in fear of frying something.

I also still have the Explorer for parts in case I need anything whatsoever, I have it.

Can anyone offer some wiring input? I have found in my research that the 04 up Ranger is a little harder to do this swap than earlier models.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Hey guys. I am just about done doing an engine swap into my 2004 4.0 Ranger (2wd automatic).

I bought a running crashed 1997 5.0 2wd Explorer for the swap.

Engine and transmission are in, driveshaft is done, fuel lines are done. A/C system is in, all power steering connected. Basically all mechanical stuff is good to go.

I swapped in the Explorer computer. I also used the Explorer engine and transmission harness. Nothing is cut or hacked...all intact.

I know some wiring has to be switched around, but I am not sure what. I have not powered anything up yet in fear of frying something.

I also still have the Explorer for parts in case I need anything whatsoever, I have it.

Can anyone offer some wiring input? I have found in my research that the 04 up Ranger is a little harder to do this swap than earlier models.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
It sounds like you have the hard work done. The rest should be fairly easy. I am sure that there will be others that jump in here and give you a few ideas on what to look for. The best help I can offer is for you to get the EVTM's for both vehicles (eBay) and compare the connections in question. If you are not familiar with how to read the EVTM's don't be worried. After spending a little time looking at them they start to make sense. Good luck with the swap. I just got mine running and it is very exciting to say the least. I am sure it will be the same for you very soon.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, Jeff, what he has done is the easy part. Wiring on the 01+ is more difficult, 05+ even more. First, the AC electrical system operates differently, the ranger ecu controls the HVAC. Also, the speedometer is also an ecu function.
You have two options, one being a little easier than the other. You can get the EVTM's and do some rewiring, or you can swap the dash and engine wiring harness from the donor. The dash comes out very easily with only 7 bolts. The benefit of swapping in the donor harness is no lengthy cut and splicing. Everything fits like it was designed. On the instrument cluster, if you want to keep the 04 cluster, you will have to repin a couple wires....

SVT

rapid transit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
SVT. Thank you....

So you're thinking I should swap the dash harness also?

I would like to do this with as little cutting up as I can....so everything pretty much remains plug in.

Would I be using the Explorer or Ranger climate control panel? And will the Ranger cluster plug into the Explorer harness? Or do you recommend using the Explorer cluster?

I appreciate your input.

****By the way, I did get my hands on EVTMs for both trucks. I am just not sure what I should be doing****

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
With your last statement, I suggest swapping the harness. The ranger and explorer dash parts interchange, its up to your choice of parts you prefer. The instrument cluster will need repinning of a couple wires if you use the ranger cluster, but use the same plugs...

SVT

rapid transit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. Much appreciated.

rapid transit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to pick at this during the week in between customer cars and road calls at my shop. I'll keep you posted with updates as I get the harness switched over.

rapid transit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also, is there a way to bypass the PATS system? Its only a shop truck.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
There's a trick that can be done, basically its wiring in the components, which takes less wiring than installing a stereo.
Pats can be deleted through a tune, but it requires you to purchase an SCT handheld tuner...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals