• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Efi wiring issues

stranger_5oh

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 91 ranger I'm doing a v8 swap in. I'm using a 5.0 out of a mustang and I have a wiring harness and ecu out of a 90 5spd mustang. I'm wondering what wires need to be spliced in order for to start and run. I've looked in a lot of forums and with so many different combos of yr model or what the harness came out that it makes it hard to figure out. Any info would be great and thanks in advance for any given

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It can be admittedly confusing and you may have already looked at the llinks below, but here is the advice everyone gets. Buy the Harwood conversion manual. $25 well spent and very helpful with the wiring although not perfect. Also buy the EVTM for your Ranger and for the 90 Mustang. You will need both to give you all the answers. It takes time, patience and some organization of your process to get it all done. I am just finishing my 1992 swap, but I used a Marquis harness, so I had some additional challenges. Good luck. Give us some pics.

http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=511.0
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EFI_Wiring.htm

stranger_5oh

Reaction score
I've got most of the wiring figured out. I have spark at the plugs, I have power to the injectors but all it will do is turn over.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the Inertia switch by the passenger feet under the dash wired into the system? You may have to reset it by pushing the button on top. Can you hear the fuel pump run briefly when you turn the key to the "ON" position ? Do you have fuel pressure at the schraeder fitting on the fuel rail? Just some of the stuff I would be looking at.

stranger_5oh

Reaction score
No the inertia switch isn't wired in only because I have the fuel pump on a toggle switch and yes I have plenty of fuel pressure at the Schrader valve

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel injection works by the ECU Grounding each injector, with key on each injector should have 12v, but no Ground so it remains closed.
ECU needs good ground wiring to operate the engine, '90 Mustang 5.0l should have sequential fuel injection, so the fact there is no firing at all would mean no injectors are opening, but you have spark, you could add some gas to the intake to test if spark is working and firing at the right time.

ECU starts injectors based on PIP signal(Profile Ignition Pick up) from TFI module, assuming you are still using TFI system.
Good read here on testing TFI module(toward bottom): http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Without PIP signal ECU doesn't even know you are cranking over the engine.

SPOUT(spark out) is the signal From the ECU to the TFI module for advance and retard timing changes

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
First. Take that toggle switch and throw it in the garbage. If you're gonna do something, do it right! You have 2 fuel pump relays, one in the vehicle harness, one in the mustang harness you are using. Wiring up a toggle switch essentially just added additional wiring that was not needed or necessary. The mustang harness only requires about 5 or 6 wires to be hooked up, its kind of hard to screw that up, unless you start adding unnecessary switches. That being said...
double check you have the EEC relay hooked up correctly, and your injectors, maf, IAC, O2, TPS, ECT, ACT and EGR sensors all have ignition power.

I'm not trying to be an a$$, but there's reasons ford didn't put the fuel pump on a toggle switch, safety...

SVT

stranger_5oh

Reaction score
Its cool man I understand. I'm going to undo what I've done so far. I did find a guy that did almost the exact swap I'm doing and he explained the wiring in his feed from the two plugs needed from the mustang harness.

The only thing I'm leaving on a toggle switch is the electric fan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals