• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil leak only while driving -- stops after 5 minutes of being parked

rhoyneriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, first thread here. I bought a 3.0L 2001 Edge with only 120k miles and have slowly been fixing various things. Biggest issue however is a small oil leak that stops after the truck is parked. I don't know how much it drips while I am driving, but it stops about 5 minutes after being parked.

It's a very small amount, however, as every time I check the dip stick it's full and I haven't had to top off the oil yet (I don't drive it that often though).

I can get better pictures tomorrow, but is there anything obvious that would cause it to only leak while the engine is running? I assume I can eliminate the oil pan since it stops after turning the truck off.

Thanks!!!

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You did not saw where it is leaking, but the timing cover is know to leak oil or coolant on the passenger side of the motor, and it will spray back on the motor when you drive and you might see a drip at idle or not

JP02XLT

rhoyneriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hard to say where the leak originates from, but it definitely seems like the small puddle ends up on the passenger side. I didn't think it was coming from the valve covers but I could be wrong.

I'll look into the timing cover! Thanks.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has a small leak as well, but it's opposite yours. It leaks while parked and off. When running it doesn't leak at all. Odd. Either oil pan or dip stick tube I suspect.

I can park it idling and not a drop. Shut it off and a few small drops appear.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3.0l Oil pressure switch, upper rear passenger side of engine

Rear main seal, oil comes out bell housing inspection plate.

Front main seal, oil comes out below crank pulley

When engine is running oil is pumped up into the valve train, and collects under the valve covers.
Because the engine sits slightly lower in the back, and you are usually driving forward, this oil will pool at the back of the valve covers, if you have a valve cover gasket leak at the rear then oil would leak out that hole when engine was running

Last edited:

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any solution? I have the 99 3.0 Off Road. Mine has a power steering cooler and that had a pinhole leak. Driving it every day I had to add steering fluid every 3 or 4 weeks for a while. When I narrowed down the leak it was accessible (not inside the radiator fins), so I cleaned it really well & used JB Weld with a hose clamp. Worked like a charm.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The best thing to do to find the leak is to buy a couple cans of degreaser and take a drive down to your local coin op car wash, let the truck cool for a bit then hose it down with a de greaser and again, let the truck sit for a bit so the de greaser can do its job.

Then pull it in the bay and give every thing a good cleaning. Take something with you to lay on and get the underside real well also.

then take it straight home and jack it up. While the truck is running get under it and start looking for your leak.

You can also by die for eng oil at your local parts house, you will need a black like and glasses to go with it. Then you can see the die glow in the black light and trace your leak down.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I don't know if the 30. suffers the same intake and valve cover leaks like the 4.0 but that's where mine is leaking. That is on the "list" even though I have a spare engine from a 98 in storage.

Huzzunga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I made a variable pressure washer using an empty coolant jug, my Binks sprayer, and Dawn dishwashing soap. I used the car wash for a high pressure follow up to locate my pesky oil leak.
Imagine my surprise �� when I saw oil on the cap and harness of the Re-man can synchronizer I bought from Pep Boys and installed.

After 3 jugs of Dawn soap, the car wash, and a 20 minute dry off drive, I popped the hood, and sure enough there is an internal leak in this re-man Camshaft synchronizer coming out the cap, then down the harness and block ��
I m not pleased, off for a refund and I won’t buy another re-manufactured unit.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would start with a clean slat, get some degreaser and clean it up really good, drive the truck to the point where you know it normally leaks, then get under there and investigate. Obviously leave it running since it doesn't leak after it is parked. Shouldn't be hard to find once you clean the area covered in oil. Watch that degreaser though, some of that can eat paint and stuff if left on too long.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals