• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor vs coil pack

Dog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found a 3.0 topaz engine. It has a distributor. What block Orr intake differences would I run into using this engine in a 95 up with a coil pack. Is the dist hole covered up by the newer lower intakes?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Topaz did use the 3.0l Vulcan engine, '92-'94, in FWD setup, transverse(sideways) mounting

Distributor was used on all 3.0l Vulcan engines until 1995 when it was replaced with a Cam Synchro tower with Cam Position Sensor(CPS) on top.
Install/timing here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/camshaft_position_sensor.shtml

In 1995 they also got a Crank Position(CKP) sensor, so you will need to change the timing chain cover, and crank pulley so that can be used on the older engine.
CKP is actually what replaced the distributor, it sets spark timing.
Timing chain cover has the mounting holes for the CKP sensor, and the pulley has the Tone Wheel the CKP sensor "reads".

Transverse mounted 3.0l engines used a different head gasket because coolant flow thru the engine was side to side, back of engine to front of engine.

In Rangers the coolant flow/hookup is all on the front of the engine so head gasket holes for coolant flow are different, sending coolant to back of engine then back to the front of the engine.
So it is recommended that you change the head gaskets when using a transverse 3.0l engine in a Ranger.
Many have not and have reported no overheating issues, but that doesn't mean that there are not hot spots in the engine causing long term damage.
So really up to you.

Be sure to put a sticker or something in the engine bay to remind you of what year the "new" 3.0l is, most parts are the same but not all

Changes over the years to 3.0l here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0-build.shtml

Last edited:

Dog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the response. I read that page about the interchange. And I am still unsure what would cover the dist hole in the block. im thinking that I would have to leave the dist in the hole. To block the hole upn unless the intake blocks the hole.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Nothing blocks the hole. A piece called the cam synchronizer goes IN the hole. The bottom half of it is basically the same as the distributor, but the top half is a little different, and has the little trigger piece for the cam sensor. It has to be there or the engine will run poorly if at all, and not long because that piece also drives the oil pump.

Dog

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thank you. I was unsure.

Josh angland

Reaction score
I found a 3.0 topaz engine. It has a distributor. What block Orr intake differences would I run into using this engine in a 95 up with a coil pack. Is the dist hole covered up by the newer lower intakes?
I'm sorry to butt in I'm new to the page I have a similar problem if ok with everyone I would like to know where I could ask my question I don't wanna step on anyone's toes here

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go to the general discussion forum, here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?forums/general-discussions.2/

Below the Banner and above the Notices/Stickies you will see "Thread Title" in light grey, click there and put in a title and then your question(s)

Remember to include the year of your Ranger or Mazda B-series, engine size, trans and 2wd or 4x4

Then click "Post Thread"
It may take a few minutes to an hour to actually be posted, as all New Member posts are screened to prevent RoBo posts or Hate Posts..............unless they are about Chevys :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals