• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help

playstationuvall

Reaction score
I was taking out the transmission in my 96 Ford ranger 4.0. I took shift linkage while in 1st gear. Now with transmission back on I can't get gear out of 1st. Any tips solutions

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep. Pull the shifter. Look down the hole and using a long screwdriver push and pull things until one side is a mirror image of the other side. You're trying to get things lined up so the shifter is in neutral, so make sure you're not on a hill...block the wheels. If you have problems moving things there may be tension on the drivetrain, get a helper to rock the truck or drop the driveshaft.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

+1 to what alwaysfloored said

You need to pull off the shifter arm and look down inside the trans
You will see the 3 shift rails and the slot in each rail that the shifter arm moves to put trans into a gear.
These 3 slots need to be lined up in the center of the hole, that is Neutral, and that is the only position that the trans/shift rails can be in when installing the shifter arm back into place.

By removing shifter arm while trans was in 1st gear you effectively "locked" the trans into 1st gear, so you need to manually "unlock" it by moving shift rails back to Neutral

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals