• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Name that part 2001 Ranger 3.0

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a pin hole from what I think is the temp sensor ? Anyways could love for someone to tell me what it is, that's where ive seem to have been lose all my coolant

Thanks in advance

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The coolant sensor is the part above that screws into the elbow that is leaking, That particular fitting will more than likely be a dealer item, or go to a local salvage yard to find one, or if your really lucky the HELP style products from Advanced / Orileys etc might have something to replace the fitting. The fitting & the sensor are considered separate items & the fitting will not come with a new sensor. The other option might be to take it to a radiator shop, welding shop & have them braze the hole, or even JB weld might hold for a while.

JP02XLT

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The coolant sensor is the part above that screws into the elbow that is leaking, That particular fitting will more than likely be a dealer item, or go to a local salvage yard to find one, or if your really lucky the HELP style products from Advanced / Orileys etc might have something to replace the fitting. The fitting & the sensor are considered separate items & the fitting will not come with a new sensor. The other option might be to take it to a radiator shop, welding shop & have them braze the hole, or even JB weld might hold for a while.

JP02XLT
Thanks for the advise.. is that piece aluminum ? Can it be soldered or would it require welding ? I believe the actual piece that connects to the fitting is okay or do you have to replace them both or I should say can you remove the sensory part from the fitting ?

Secondly, from your knowledge could the coolant sensor with the pinhole be causing temp gauge inside the cab to read wrong ? it reads very cold but it does move but it seems like for driving around about 10 mins it should have warmed up and read higher than sitting right @ cold. I think i'm going to backflush my truck because the water is muddy brown, replace the tstat and possibly the fuel filter because it was bogging down and initially thought it was the cat and the shop confirmed it's not but they did find this leak.

thanks for the input !!

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
The lose of coolant can cause all sorts of issues, cold readings then jumping hot underload, no heat, etc. As sensitive to coolant levels as these engines can be (due to air pockets caused by low coolant), I would strongly suggest complete replacement of the fitting with a new one, unless it very expensive.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sensor for the gage is in the cylinder head, but the loss of coolant & the creation of air pockets could cause the issues you describe. You need to get that fitting changed.

JP02XLT

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
With luck that piece will solve my engine bogging under acceleration, obviously coolant leage, gauge reading cold or nothing and heather blowing cold air.. I will have to research the part online see if i can find it.

Thanks for all of the input !

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
With further looking I also found a sensor that was to the right of the thermostat housing and directly threaded into the manifold with a grey connector VS the red on shown in the picture... Is that the gauge sensor ? Just want to confirm that the sensor with the red connector is in fact the coolant temp sensor and not the other one off to the right.

MichaelPaladin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
Can't remember the exact name, but I believe its a "Intake Manifold adapter" and yes it is a dealer item. I just replaced one on my '99 Ranger a couple of weeks ago. Where you have the pinhole, mine had completely seperated from the body its soldered to.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ford (F77Z-18599-AA)

That part is:
HOT WATER CONNECTION ELBOW - Ford (F77Z-18599-AA)

$20 at Tascaparts and about $39+ at local dealer. Also available on e-bay.
I will always replace it when doing heads or water pump after my recent failure. AND the fitting next to it; they are hard to get at when the engine is assembled.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Sounds as though your cooling system has been sadly neglected. Your problem is the direct result of negligence. The anti-corrosion additives in the anti freeze have become depleted and the resulting acidification is attacking the metals. I would imagine that your water pump impeller could also be eaten away.

I'd get to flushing and hope for the best!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals