• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas gauge question and other question.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I think my gas gauge might be messed up?? I ususally get 60 miles to every quarter mark, now its reading i have right at 100 miles on a quarter mark, theres no way i got that kinda gas mileage?? Maybe itll even out or something?? Sometimes its like that after the half-way mark, never before it though

Also two more non-realated question

1: The past few morinings have been pretty cold here (freezing temp or below) and my check gauge light comes on in the morning when i start her up. its the oil pressure gauge its stuck all the way down...Once i start driving itll come on and stay where its supposed to be...Well the thing is its been PLENTY cold this winter and it just started 2 days ago doing this??? ANYone know why???

QUESTION 2:: How can you check to see if mythermostat is stuck open WITHOUT physical examination?? Ive heard people say there truck will take like 30 minutes before the gauge reads where its supposed to....Mine ranger takes about 5 minutes before the gauge is where it should be, is that stuck open????

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Did you recently install a Tornado or magnets on the fuel line? jk
Not sure man, you'll have to wait and see if it evens out, and you need to measure mileage by the gallon, not by marks on a gauge.

Not sure on the second question, oil pressure not coming up?

If yours is stuck Open, it would take a long time for your truck to warm up, unless you only had about 3 cups of coolant in there. When the thermostat is open, coolant flows from the radiator in to the motor and back, if it is Closed, the coolant stays within the motor, therefore heating up faster.

Hope that helped

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
yeah that helped abou the thermostat...yeah i just got a tornado!!! LOL
I doo measure my gas by the gallon every week....I just notice that i usually get 60 miles to every quarter, except on the last quarter i get 70-80 miles...so i get about 250-260 on a tank...i average 18 with 70/30 highway/city

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its possible that the cold weather is effecting your oil pressure...i would verify the "low pressure" condition with a real gauge, as the factory gauges can be somewhat flakey.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals