• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 gears in M5OD?

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to upgrade my stock transmission to something a little more robust (I guess) and taller in gearing. I heard the T5 tranny is pretty good especially when it's driving a 94 2.3 lol. Could I put t5 gears in my m5od or do I have to swap the whole tranny, housing and all? Any way I can just buy a rebuild kit with the gears and just swap them?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothing interchanges between a Borg-Warner T-5 and a Mazda M5OD. They are made by different companies.

T-5 is a car trans and the M5 is a truck trans, M5 is much stronger than a T-5. Not sure how the overdrives compare but you could swap rear ends cheaper/easier than a transmission.

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have upgrade my rear end to posi track 4.10 gears. Still a 7.5 rear end though. I heard that a t5 will bolt up to a 94 mazda b2300. Read it somewhere but lost the source lol. Just trying to get more insight. So they were made by different companies, but they are still for fords?

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have upgrade my rear end to posi track 4.10 gears. Still a 7.5 rear end though. I heard that a t5 will bolt up to a 94 mazda b2300. Read it somewhere but lost the source lol. Just trying to get more insight. So they were made by different companies, but they are still for fords?

I'm sorry I just re read your post.

So I couldn't just take the gears out and swap them? I have no transmission building experience, was hoping it would be like swapping diff gears. Take out gears, install taller ones, and put it back together lol. Maybe what I'm trying to ask is will t5 gears FIT in my m5od?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sorry I just re read your post.

So I couldn't just take the gears out and swap them? I have no transmission building experience, was hoping it would be like swapping diff gears. Take out gears, install taller ones, and put it back together lol. Maybe what I'm trying to ask is will t5 gears FIT in my m5od?

Just like you could take the gears out of a GM 14 bolt rear axle and put them in your 7.5.

Different brands, different models... everything about everything is different.

They did make different gearing for the M5OD's in Supercoupes, not sure how interchangeable those are with a Ranger trans or how available they are... might be an option though.

Last edited:

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If supercoupes have m5od and I do too, I should be able to swap out the taller gears then, right?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If supercoupes have m5od and I do too, I should be able to swap out the taller gears then, right?

Possibly... I am no Supercoupe expert. :dntknw:

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
That's why I come here! To discuss! Lol. Does anybody have a t5 and a m5od? Has anyone just swapped the gears? If I remember correctly, t5s will bolt up to 2.3l with (maybe) fabricating one bolt hole?

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your looking for a t5 I have one if interested has the bellhousing for the 2.3 even have clutch for it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's why I come here! To discuss! Lol. Does anybody have a t5 and a m5od? Has anyone just swapped the gears? If I remember correctly, t5s will bolt up to 2.3l with (maybe) fabricating one bolt hole?
Nothing will work between a T-5 and a M5OD, completely different transmissions.

I am not sure if they changed something with the cases between a Supercoupe M5OD and a Ranger M5OD. I have never even seen a Supercoupe so you will have to track one down first to even get parts.

Foxbodies had T5's from the factory with every engine they offered including 2.3's.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
If you want a weaker transmission that shifts really nice and like your shifter back so far that you can't use a split bench ( if that's what you have ) then get a t5.

The super coupe m5od won't bolt up to a 2.3. It has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a 5.0.
Personally I would just change the ring and pinion and keep the m5od that you have. But that's just my opinion.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since you have a 2.3L, you could swap a 4.0L M5OD gearset into your 2.3L case... 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears are taller on the 4.0L set. But the OD gears (and reverse) are the same (and no you can't just bolt the 4.0L trans to your 2.3L whole, the bell is different)

If you need taller gearing to run on the highway, then what lvwill said (swap 3.73 or 3.45 gears into your axle).

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The older t-bird turbo coupe had the T-5, and there was version of it that came with a hydraulic clutch if I am not mistaken.

And if you replace the Ford output housing with that of an S-10, the shifter would be in the same spot as it was for the M5OD.

Now, as far as gearing goes: M5OD has either 3.73 or 3.40 1st and 0.79 OD while the T-5 can have anything from 4.03 to 2.95 1st and .86 to .68 OD (Low 1st/low OD; high 1st/high OD, no wide ratio).

As noted strength of M5OD is much greater - 3.73 1st has input rating of 320ftlbs; the T-5 with 3.75 1st has rating of 230ftlbs. Of course T-5 is 10lbs lighter than M5OD.

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. I thought the T5 was better and stronger for whatever reason. I do recall the shifters being in different spots and the bellhousing from an s10 would work so thanks for that. 1-3 gears from a 4.0 sounds like a good route. I have 4.10 gears and posi track already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals