• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery drain issue

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an 01 4.0 that recently wouldn't start without a jump so I replaced the battery with a fancy optima yellow top and a few days later, same thing. Here are my symptoms:

-After jump I noticed my speedometer was bouncing between 15-20 while at a stop however while driving worked fine.

-I noticed my lights seemed to dim slightly

-I've got a double din radio that tilts out when the truck turns on then retracts back when off and it did not retract after I last parked it.

-When the key was turned off a relay under the dash began clicking which I discovered was the battery saver relay.

-When the door shuts my running lights would blink

Now I've been reading about a Parasitic drain however I don't have the tools to test nor would I know how to use them. I've read the GEM could also be a cause so I took out the radio and noticed the GEM has a black clip and a grey clip plugged into it. I don't know which clip feeds what inside the truck but when I unplug the grey clip the relay stops clicking so I'm assuming whatever that connects to is the issue. Does anyone know what this clip connects to or if it's the GEM itself? If it is the GEM does it have to be programmed to the truck or can any GEM from a similar truck work?

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
a bad alternator will do this

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
i had a prob kinda like yours on a 92,

after a bit of searching this was what i found to be easiest on the net to try.... hope this might help.....

pasted from a different place......

You either have a large draw or a short somewhere.

Turn everything off on the vehicle.
Disconnect the Negative cable.
Take a test light and hook the clamp to the Negative terminal and put the probe on the Negative battery post.
Does the light illuminate brightly?
If yes, you have something on or a draw somewhere.
If the light illuminates dimly, then you have a slight draw, but nothing that is going to drain the battery in a short time.

Next, make sure the hood light is off, the doors are closed. Check the light again. Same? Ok.
Next, pull the plug on the alternator. Not the large red wire, but the connector. Did the light go out?
If yes, pull the alternator and take to a parts store and have it tested. Have them check the regulator.

If the light stays lit, then pull fuses one by one until the light dims or goes out. Once you hit the one where the light dims, you found the circuit that has the draw.

Understand that using the test light is the primitive way of finding a draw, but works in a pinch. You can use a DVOM on Amps the same way, but more folks have test lights and you can purchase a test light for $3.99 at some parts stores.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
turns out it was a bad clamp at the end of the negative lead which had rusted where the sleeve covers it and when I tightened it onto the battery it pulled and cracked just enough to barely make contact

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
glad you came back with a positive reply...thanks

homey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I' glad Snarl's problem was that easy to fix. However, some electrical problems can be a real pain to track down. I was having trouble with my '06 Ranger SC FX4 running the battery down. I'd put the charger on it and it took a charge. After a couple of times of this, I took it to the local Auto Zone. They load tested and said the battery was bad. Got the battery replaced since it was still under warranty. Auto Zone retested and said it was the alternator. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the truck, because I knew the service manager would delve into the problem and fix it right the first time. Service manager didn't feel that it was the alternator. It took 3 weeks to run down the problem - a bad starter. Just shows that electrical problems can be tricky to repair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals