• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need options

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
This will be the first place I ask. I am rebuilding my Expedition from the ground up. Frame off restoration, its still cheaper than replacing it. Having trouble finding a replacement engine. When I search for 5.4L Triton crate engine I get some link to a 331 stroked 302 which is not what I want. I can't even find a link for upgraded cams. I don't really have issues with using a stock rebuild except at 141,xxx miles one of my heads is cracked and the block is cracked on a water jacket. Honestly I have come to expect more out of a Ford V8.

I just want a mildly built 5.4L that can tolerate a little abuse and maybe some boost. My engine budget is approx $3000 because I spent $3000 on a raptor transmission and the rust repair is nickle and diming me. Maybe a stock rebuild will work but what power options are there?

Leads me to another question........ can an engine with a 3v head be swapped in place of the 2 valve head without changing the wiring and electronics?

I also can not seem to source a set of headers (tri-y preferred) for an Eddie Bauer with a 5.4L (thinking maybe lincoln navigator would also work but can't locate headers for that either).

I don't need gobs of horse power but being able to maintain the speed limit in Montana with out over heating with an 8000 pound trailer would be nice.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 3v will not be plug and play for a 2v.

I think Ford still has reman engines available if you are wanting to go that route. Navigators had a 4v available which will probably be closer to plug and play than a 3v but will still probably have differences. More power than a 2v for sure.

If you are running a Raptor transmission out of the SVT truck you will already have custom tuning in the works to get it to work.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Raptor as in Raptor 4R100 Enforcer

what about updated 2v heads (with more threads for the spark plugs) that were rumored to be used in the vans untill 2008?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Raptor as in Raptor 4R100 Enforcer

what about updated 2v heads (with more threads for the spark plugs) that were rumored to be used in the vans untill 2008?
Ok, when you said Raptor I was thinking the 6 speed out of a newer Raptor pickup.

With the usual inspiration Ford has with the Econoline line I would think it would be ok, never personally heard of anyone doing it though.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The vans did use the 2V head, until 2008 or so, and later heads supposedly had better threading, but I have still seen them fail. Not as often as the early ones, but I have seen one or two.

If you have a 4R100, you might want to look into a Lightning engine. Gots one o' them fancy dancy super-dooper chargers. Just need the computer and the fuel system wiring for it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno how the super dooper blown 5.4 would like playing tow pig though. IIRC the Lighting had dit squat for a tow rating.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
just spit balling here but what about a V10 swap? since the engine sits inside the transmission tunnel there is plenty of room

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It had to have some sort of power to it, they built a special mish-mash trans for the engine. The 4R100 is a torqshift (the diesel trans) stuffed into a 4R70W case.

A 6.8 swap could also be viable. They are only an inch or two longer than the 5.4. Someone fit one in a Ranger without too much trouble, so I can't imagine an Expedition would be super hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals