• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Laptop shopping

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to get a new laptop.

I use it a lot for work, the one I have does that ok. It catches a beating and is showing its age (down three keys at the moment)

I also want to do some 2D drafting on my own using Draftsight. Nothing real huge just laying out projects around the house and mocking up parts. The one I have will open it and run it but when I draw something the lines disappear. They are still there you just can't see them (you can snap another line to them)

I don't know if it is my processor or graphics card that is the weak link, I suspect the graphics card has a lot to do with it.

Minimum requirements are a 2ghz processor with a 16 bit graphics card.

My current processor is 2.10ghz... what is bugging me is it is really hard to find a laptop that fast let alone any faster. Most are well below 2. Like I have to get above $600 and usually closer to $1000 to exceed my 4.5 year old $400 machine. I would like to stay in the $400-500 price range if I could.

Did they change something so the ghz isn't measured the same now? What gives? :icon_confused:

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Check the number of cores.. your laptop is probably dual core. The newer ones are probably quad core and even though they are rated at a lower speed they will run circles around your old laptop.

Also consider the speed of the memory. Newer computers can move stuff through the memory much faster.

You are right on the video card. It will be a choke point especially for graphic heavy applications

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I wondered if it was something like that. I couldn't see how/why they would go so far backwards on it otherwise.

Yeah, it is a Pentium Dual Core

What would be good to look for in a video card? Or would be it like my processor and pretty much anything is a lot better than what I already have? (intel (r) 4 series express chipset family)

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would connect it to a TV, basically a larger screen, and see if it's your screen resolution that is the issue with the disappearing lines.

If computer serves your needs otherwise then I would get a 24"-32" TV to use as a display while drafting, they are cheap.

IMO, upgraded graphics cards are for better fast motion processing(video games), the graphic card does more of the processing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well that gave me something to go on.

I turned the resolution down a click... it worked. I thought "this sucks for everything else though" so I turned it back up... still works :yahoo:

It is still slow loading some pages but now I lost my big drive for a new one, thanks :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals