• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! 2.9L sporadic oil guage lifter noise...

Dylan292

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '89 B2 has a sporadic oil gauge. Normally it stays in the middle, but lately it has been jumping really quick between the middle and below L (low) and into the red. It immediately jumps back into the normal range. I know that the oil pressure gauge is a dummy gauge, but it troubles me.

The truck runs like a top - no knocks, blow by, or leaks.

Probably 332K miles (232K)??

Only lately (on extended freeway drives does the valve train clatter - strangely NOT When the OP Gauge starts to trip... The ticking remains until I shut it off. The next time I start it its fine.

Stopped up oil sump?

Bad oil pump?

I also noticed that the oil is brown only a week after being changed, slight metallic particles in it.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I changed the oil on the truck last weekend and theere is already metallic particles in it. Could this be from him driving it while the valve train was clattering away? Or could this be something deeper like a bad CAM bearing? I wonder b/c If I remember reading somewhere the Cam Bearings clearance determines oil pressure?

Last edited:

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
metallic particles are very bad, means bearing are being chewed up. there is a lot more to oil pressure then the cam bearings, mostly crank bearing,and rod bearings. if you want to save that engine STOP driving it!!! pull the oil pan make sure the pick-up tube is clear, inspect the oil pump. if everything looks good the start tearing in to motor, $120 for a rebuild kit is better then another motor.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
metallic particles are very bad, means bearing are being chewed up. there is a lot more to oil pressure then the cam bearings, mostly crank bearing,and rod bearings. if you want to save that engine STOP driving it!!! pull the oil pan make sure the pick-up tube is clear, inspect the oil pump. if everything looks good the start tearing in to motor, $120 for a rebuild kit is better then another motor.
sometimes the best advise is free:icon_thumby:

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
if the mains or rod bearings were on there way out wouldn't you hear it?

on my 3.4L monte carlo (pos) when the mains went it was obvious... nasty lower end marbly deep knocking....

this truck runs like a top. no lower end noise wat so ever could it be the cam bearings?

is it hard to take the oil pan down on a b2?

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i havent had to pull the pan on my 2.9l , but on my '90 2.3l i had to pull the motor.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Necessary: When you pulled the pan on the B2 where you able to jimmy all the way out from under the truck er????

I ask b/c I did a pan gasket on my mom's Aerostar 3.0L and I couldn't get the whole pan out, I hada work around it :-/

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive never had the pan off of the b2, so i couldnt tell you but from experience,but on my '90 ranger with a 2.3l that was given to me by my father, had the same symptoms, we thought that the oil pump was going out, i tried and tried to get the oil pan off, but with the cross member i had to pull the motor, after i got it out and apart i found that just the pickup tube screen was pluged. but i replaced the pump anyways and the clutch while i had it out, but i believe the motor has to be pulled on the b2 as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals