• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Popping fuse

BubbaTC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I got a 84 ranger 4x4 and every couple of days I will pop the turn signal fuse. I have put in new flasher relays, turn signal switch, re wired behind the fuse panel (was a few melted wires) and still the same thing. I know that fuse is also for the backup lights, so I was thinking of unplugging the backup sensor in the trans and see if that helps. Any thoughts?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would just go to a higher fuse, although it can be dangerous, it sounds like you have tried most every thing else.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you go with a higher fuse, just save time and go with gas and a match.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If you go with a higher fuse, just save time and go with gas and a match.
I've been waiting for someone to comment on this, "use a larger fuse thingy". I was thinking using a penny for the fuse. Heck, the wiring is already melting away. Too funny!

Last edited:

BubbaTC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have run a little bit of bigger fuse and still does the same thing

jhammel85

Do not use a bigger fuse... unless you want a fire. They're used at a specific amperage for a reason.

I hate to say it but you might have to trace the wiring. You can try unplugging those plugs you mentioned but ultimately, i wouldn't be surprised if you ended up having to trace the wiring. Sounds to me like one of those wires rubbed through the insulation and is grounding out.

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_turn_stop_hazard.JPG

Do you have a trailer harness/plug?
Inspect that plug for corrosion!

Another spot is to look at the bed harness.
You could have a chafed wire to the rear lamps, touching ground occasionally.

I've found through the years that the first step in electrical troubleshooting is a thorough visual inspection. If the fuse is blowing, you have a short. Since it is occasional, suspect a chafing wire. Back by the tail lights is the logical first place to inspect.

The later models (can't recall about the 84) have a tail light harness plug right at the center of the bed, just behind the bumper. Take a good look around back there for chafes, along with removing the tail lights and looking in there too. Well worth pulling a few screws to have a look for chafed wires.

Another really effective method is to power up the truck, engage the turn signals, left, then right, and while the turn signals are ON, start wiggling wiring. Wiggle the wiring for the reverse switch too!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals