• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch and brake pedal problem

jaredm_k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 1985 Bronco II, been sitting for a long while so there is a lot to go through before I can have a reliable vehicle. The biggest problem I am running into right now is that when I press the clutch pedal - the brake pedal also depresses slightly. Then when you release the clutch, it does not come all the way back up and you actually have to put your foot behind the pedal and pull it the rest of the way up, same with the brake. I was looking for a diagram of the pedal assembly but no luck so far. If anybody has advice for me I am open to it! I'm not sure if there should be a clutch return spring or something, and even if there is that still probably doesn't solve the brake pedal. But I would assume the two problems are connected. Thanks for your help!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have a BII or even a manual RBV anymore; but, my guess is that the clutch and brake pedals are on the same pivot bolt and that it has rusted or something that is causing both pedals to move together and hangup.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Neither pedal have a return spring, they spring back under pressure from the master cylinders. It sounds like you possibly have a busted bushing or busted pedal hanger. Or they may be rusted or gummed up. The system is pretty simple, good luck!

jaredm_k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys - I plan on spending some time on it this weekend. Once I have it figured out I'll try to log back on here and post what it was in case somebody else has the same problem.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had it happen on a RBV, but I have had it happen on my 86 f250 (pretty much the same design), there is a large pivot pin that the brake and clutch pedal's are attached to, that go's through the cast aluminum housing that bolts to the firewall, anyway, you most likely need to oil them up from sitting, an old style oil squirt can work's best to get up in there and oil them up good and work them abit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals