• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 to a 4.0

jakey the snakey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger. Its a 2.3 DOHC, its now blown and does not work. I want to replace it with a v6 4.0, I need it to do it the CHEAPEST AND EASIEST WAY POSSIBLE. I need to know how many things will need to be replaced and swapped, what will I have to buy in order to complete the swap, will it be easier to buy a motor and transmission alone or get a donor vehicle, if so what is the donor car/truck and year I should be looking for. I know I cant just buy another motor and transmission and simply drop it in, but i need it to be as simple, cheap, and quick as i can. I have been looking for a straight answer and I feel it would be best to just ask for myself. So what is the best route I should take?http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/annoyed.gif

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
CHEAPEST AND EASIEST WAY POSSIBLE = Replace/rebuild the 2.3l DOHC, sell the truck and buy one with a 4.0l.

I am serious, that will be the cheapest and for sure the easiest

Yes you need to buy a donor truck with working 4.0l OHV and the transmission type you want.
And it needs to be a '98-'00 to match your current returnless fuel system.
Although with a donor you can swap all that out.

You need the full engine wiring harness including Power box and computer.
You will need to swap out springs up front since 4.0l weights more.

Swapping to a 4.0l SOHC('01 and up) would be possible but you would probably need to do the timing chains while it is out, so more $$

Last edited:

jakey the snakey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you, the truck I have has alot of sentimental value and ive put alot if money into it so selling it for me is not an option. Is there any other advice? Or what other motor swap could and would be easier?(other then another 4 cylinder)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the 3.0l Vulcan V6, used in Rangers and other Fords, has the same block/trans bolt pattern as the Duratec 2.3l DOHC.

So you could keep your trans, but all the wiring and computer would still need to be changed along with motor mounts.

2.3l DOHC lists 143HP
3.0l Vulcan lists 150HP
7 more HP, about a 5% improvement

So not much of an improvement for the time and expense, IMO, putting in/rebuilding a 2.3l would be better.
4.0l OHV lists 160HP, so only 17 more HP than 2.3l DOHC, a 12% improvement

If you want to do it then a 5.0l V8 conversion would make more sense.
Explorer V8 list 215HP
Again donor vehicle would be the way to go.
A 50% increase in power

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Again donor vehicle would be the way to go.
If you do anything other than replace stock parts, that's very good advice. I ended up spending like 2x more than if I'd bought a donor vehicle. And I'd have had a body to scrap when I got done. Also being able to drive the donor beforehand is a huge plus and taking all the time you want to pull parts rather than being in a hurry or having to make 3 trips to a junkyard 60 miles away to get one part out. (My transmission. Don't ask)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals