• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4:10 - 4:56

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Are there any gear ratios between 4:10 and 4:56 available in a 8.8 and TTB 35 28 spline?

I've looked at several ring and pinion sit and if you type anything between the two it defaults to one or the other..

Thank you..

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
You can get a 4.30 for the 8.8 but they don't have them for the D35. I just went through this search exercise because I felt the 4.30 would be a better ratio for my use. I had to settle for the 4.56s. It will be great for off-road but less than satisfactory on freeways and Interstates. Once I wear out my 31" tires I will run 33" tires all the time and the problem will be minimized.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thank you, I have what looks like your truck w/3:73's and auto. I live in Colo.
and I see alot of hills and back roads towing two atv's, it does fine, when I need what I feel is a little TLC I just put it in 4lo, I love the 3:73's at 65-70mph on the hiway.
Oh well, I'll live with what I have for now..

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You can get a 4.30 for the 8.8 but they don't have them for the D35. I just went through this search exercise because I felt the 4.30 would be a better ratio for my use. I had to settle for the 4.56s. It will be great for off-road but less than satisfactory on freeways and Interstates. Once I wear out my 31" tires I will run 33" tires all the time and the problem will be minimized.
What are your rpm's at 65-70mph ?
I have 245/75, they're about 30-31", might be a good trade off running 33's
Have you lost any mpg's since your regearing?
Thanks again

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
At 75 mph, the rpm is around 3,200 so I am guessing the rpm at 70 is probably around 3,000. I don't mind the rpm but the drive train is spinning like it is going 85 mph. I can feel a little drivetrain vibration at 75 like I used to at 85 when I had the 4.10 gears. The vibration is not that bad but I feel that causes a little more stress on the drivetrain and could have negative effects long term.

My around town mileage has dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg with the 31" tires and 4.56 gears. I ran one tank with the 33" tires and 4.56 gears and it was a little worse. I don't have any highway mileage readings yet. It seems to have gotten a little better as I put more miles on the new gears and bearings. I am thinking as the gears and new bearing (all were replaced along with rear wheel bearings) wear in they may loosen up and roll more free to allow better gas mileage. They also put in heavier gear lube (than Ford recommends) in the front differential. I am going to switch back to the recommended grade to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Sounds like your happy with 4:56's , I'm thinking going the same way, are you happy with 4lo ?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not happy with the 4.56 gears with the 31" tires. I have adapted to the combination and am learning to accept it.

The 4.56 gears with the 33" tires are still a lower overall ratio than the 4.10 gear with the 31" tires but is close enough that it is not a problem. I have not had it off-road yet to see how the 4.56 gears work with the 33" tires in 4 low, but I am sure it will be a great improvement over the 4.10 gears with 32" tires that I was running off-road.

I have a two and a half week Mexico off-road expedition coming up in April that will give my new 33" tires and 4.56 gears a good work out. I will know then how well they work but I am pretty confident that I will be very happy with them.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
That sounds like a great trip, We'll still have two feet of snow... hope we we get some pics:icon_hornsup:

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Going from 3.73 to 4.30 is a 15% change and just about perfect. Unfortunately, as you noted, 4.30 is only available for the 8.8 and even that isn't popular except for Mustang owners.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals