• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo time

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So I was priming up the 2.3T and the oil pump bolt broke in the pump. At this point I am going to just tear the 2.3T down and do a rebuild. In my frustration I mounted the turbo components on the NA motor. More to follow.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Oil feed line and coolant supply line are hooked up. The EGR tube took some motivating and I used the turbo coupe EGR. One issue is the 4 wire 02 sensor pig tail is not long enough to sit on top of the turbo O2 sensor housing. This is a easy fix since I can just add it into the down pipe when I fab it up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, forgot to mention that, I added a bung on the downpipe for the O2 sensor... but like you said that's a quick/easy fix

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I worked on the intake a little tonight. I was able to keep the factory air box in its stock location and use sections from the OEM tube to connect it to the turbo. I have not test fitted the intercooler with it yet so that's the next test.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Finished the down pipe and mocked up the intercooler. It looks like every thing will fit. Today is just some small odds and ends stuff but it's basicly just about ready.

I unhooked the waste gate lever and plan on running a small soft carburetor return spring on it until I can figure something else out. This will result in little or no boost. I am doing this just so we can do a shake down drive to make sure every thing is working correctly before we start adding pressure.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
It lives! First test drive was very soft and only about 5 miles.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Installing a vac/boost gauge tonight in the intake manifold and cleaning a few things up. If all goes well I might try to take a long test drive and start working on the rest of the exhaust. I know a lot of people say go 3 inch but I personally think 2.5 will support my goals especially since I don't plan on going past mid 200s even with the turbo motor down the road. Right now I am shooting for 135 to the wheels.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Hooking up the factory exhaust to the 2.5 down pipe today. We will see how she sounds. It sounded mean with a 2.5 open down pipe but was crazy loud and annoying to drive for any long distance.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Truck is doing well. The exhaust did not work out as well as I hoped. The down pipe has a terrible narrow place at the bend and it's all tied into the factory ranger convertor and muffler with its small factory piping. It works but it's definitely slowed down the turbo response. I have it dialed back to about 4-5 psi right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals