• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"PBR" Build

BeckaKeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Last spring I decided I wanted to a build a wheeler, being totally in love with rangers since I was 15, I met another Ranger nut ("dogboy" on these forums) and fell in love with him and wheeling! :) He has a Dana 30 SAS'ed Ranger on 35's, doubler kit, beadlocks.. All the good stuff! So I said let's build a twin, girl style though :) I wanted to help do everything. Get my hands dirty and learn. I wasn't going to let him just build me one.. He was just happy I'm paying for it all ;)

So I found a cheap 93' Extra Cab Ranger on craigslist. 5 speed, 4.0L, PURPLE.. Everything I wanted. That's where the name PBR comes from. "Purple Badass Ranger" or "Pretty Built Ranger" any combinations of those things. Anyway, all it needed was some love aaaaand an input shaft ;) Lucky for me, my Ranger hording boyfriend had one laying around in the garage!

The day we brought it home.

After we rebuilt the tranny ourselves, got it running and put the brand new 35's on it to be funny! Wouldn't even turn haha.

The same weekend we got it running, we pulled the stock axle out and began the Dana 30 SAS.

Getting the links figured out.

Made some link brackets.

And now to girl it up a bit! Its actually teal, pictures make it look baby blue. I was going for the teal and purple scheme.

Done! (Plus 3" Body Lift)

Then a few weeks later, we bit the bullet and bought ourselves a tubing bender.. spendy.. After hours of drawing on paper, we stuck to this idea and bent it up and made it happen! And winches were on sale that weekend ;) It came out EXACTLY how i wanted it and could not be more happy with it.

Then after that we built up some sliders because I didn't want to hurt my pretty purple truck.. Haha.

Definitely a great investment, just the few small things I've hit has definitely saved my rockers.

Then near the end of summer we came across a good deal on beadlocks and I said why the hell not. I don't need them by anymeans. But why not?! I got to learn to weld and then weld them!

This truck is so much fun and it has been a blast and a total pain in the ass at the same time, but the best part is learning how to do all this and sharing my boyfriends favorite hobby with him! I wouldnt trade a whole weekend in the shop for anything!

So now that were up to date, we just finished up a doubler kit we snagged from one of his friends. A duffy kit already built, all we had to do was throw it in the truck.

NOW.. the headache we are dealing with right now.. :( Bye bye gears..
"Its only Tahuya" We weren't 20 minutes into the trail when PBR started making some nasty sounds. We believe the axle was just worn out. We bought it from a junk yard knowing nothing about it. We've already had enough problems with it. I don't really beat on the truck hard enough to do that much damage.

So we are currently in the middle of an axle swap. This time HP Dana 30. We were going to regear it, but we bought gears twice and ended up getting the short pinion both times, when the axle we had was a long pinion. We didn't know they made that change in 96 up. So we said screw it, its easier and cheaper to just swap the axle.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, we have a problem, between the two of us.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Who makes the doubler?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, we have a problem, between the two of us.
All complete and running? (unlike mine...) I fail to see the problem.
I know people with other brands that have far more in their yards and fewer that actually run.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm loving it!

I see a featured vehicle write up coming.............

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Very nice! Keep up the good work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals