• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rumble strip sound only in 4x4

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys my 05 has just started doing something strange. When I'm in 4x4 and going over 40mph I can randomly feel and here a grinding/rumbling noise that last maybe a half a second and is very similar to hitting the rumble strip on the highway shoulder. The tricky part is its a live axle so everything spins all the correct? So if something were wrong in the axle it would do it even in 2wd right? I already pulled the passenger side (where it seems to come from) hub off and it looked fine, so did the cv joints, but I did find a pretty bad lower ball joint. Could that do it? But why only in 4x4? And why only over 40mph? I need help! Thanks!

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
The balljoint probably has nothing to do with that sound but wouldn't hurt to change it. Do you spin the hub assemblies? Do they feel smooth? The front driveline cv joint may be bad or the u joint on the other end as well. Your front diff may be going to sh*t but that is doubtful, as you would hear a consistent humming under power (bad pinion or carrier bearings). Or if the spider gears are bad you will usually hear an awful banging noise.

From your issue I would point you at the driveline. Btw cv axles don't always look bad when they actually are. Unlikely for one to go bad on a ranger but you never know, those cv joints on the drivelines are however known for going bad. dorman makes a rebuild kit I believe.

Another thing, some noises are only heard under load/power. So think about all the things that transfer power. The transfer case, the driveline, the ring and pinion, the spider gears, the cv axles and finally the hubs. However in your case you have a live axle so nvm on the hubs part.

Look for rust coming out of the u joint and cv joint on the driveline, and feel for any play

Also remove the driveline and feel the slip yoke. It should be smooth and have no rough spots and should have little or no play.

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Went ahead and replaced the ball joint, but didn't help. The hub feels ok to me, but I think I'll try that next. Like you mentioned the noise is only heard under power. I've inspected my front drive shaft with it still on the truck and felt no play in any u joints. The cv shaft on the side the noise is coming from is weeping where it meets the axle tube (Outer axle seal) and does have play in/out but not more than what I think to be normal. I'm really hoping it's not internal but I can't think of much else...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The front driveshaft has a CV joint on the transfer case end. Do you have any play in the front driveshaft?

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
The front driveshaft has a CV joint on the transfer case end. Do you have any play in the front driveshaft?
No none at all... is it possible it's a inner axle bearing? It's is weeping from that side. And I can feel it in the steering wheel so i don't the drive shaft would have anything to do with that...

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
I rotated my tires today and tossed it in 4wd just for shits and giggles and the noise/feeling got incredibly better... I drove around for probably 20 minutes and it did it once very noticeably and I think it did it 1 other time but I was on a ruff patch of road so I'm not sure. The time I did notice it was just under 40mph on a slight right hand curve coasting (no throttle)

Elwood "C"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mason_411 you may want to check your drive spindles for contact with the spindle tube. Pull the "C" clip, ease off the shim washers & check the area behind them for "grooving" across the drive splines. That is the problem I'm trying to trouble-shoot when I came across your inquiry. My problem manifests the same noise/vibration you describe.
There maybe nothing similar between our issues other than the overt symptoms; my Rangers a '90, S/C Lariat 4x4 with converted hubs & 460K [and counting]. Your '05 may have enough of the ensuing design upgrades to where the unsupported spindle issue has been addressed. But what the HEY? If you're still plagued with the issue, maybe its worth a "look-see". Best of luck.

Elwood "C"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mason_411 you may want to check your drive spindles for contact with the spindle tube. Pull the "C" clip, ease off the shim washers & check the area behind them for "grooving" across the drive splines. That is the problem I'm trying to trouble-shoot when I came across your inquiry. My problem manifests the same noise/vibration you describe.
There maybe nothing similar between our issues other than the overt symptoms; my Rangers a '90, S/C Lariat 4x4 with converted hubs & 460K [and counting]. Your '05 may have enough of the ensuing design upgrades to where the unsupported spindle issue has been addressed. But what the HEY? If you're still plagued with the issue, maybe its worth a "look-see". Best of luck.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
I would triple check the cv axles. I've had them go bad but remain tight. Check the side not making noise as well, most noise in rotating parts is due to or causes vibration which can and will travel into corresponding parts. There are only a select number of possible causes, cv joints in the axleshafts, cv or u_joints in the driveshaft, wheel bearings (sometimes do it in 4×4 long before they do it during normal driving), or differential. Now if your in four wheel drive and doing 40 mph, I'm going to assume you are neither on pavement, gravel, or packed dirt, because just doing that could cause your issue and a few others, among other things running in 4×4 on surfaces with good traction will cause excess wear due to binding when you turn in all of the areas I mentioned plus the transfer case. Full time 4×4 vehicles have a special fluid coupler in the transfer case to differentiate front from back, it slips when you turn because even in a slight turn the front and rear wheels travel different distances. If you are running on packed surfaces at high speeds I would source a junkyard transfer case from a first or second Gen jeep grand Cherokee, it is strong enough to handle a v8, and has a fluid coupler. Just doing that could fix your problem, at least until whatever is making the noise wears more and makes itself obvious. If you want to retain your electronic control for 4x4, I'm sure someone else here can point you to another t-case that may be compatible.
My best guess is cv joints, they take the brunt of everything and are usually the culprit. I would suggest changing the axle you think it is, save the old one for a spare, and see if it quits. They aren't cheep, but if you go off road you will have them go out at some point, it's a given. If the noise quits, save the old one anyway, you may break one and a crappy spare is better than no spare.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals